ahead of his time(s)

sunyaer

Chinese
Self-make sentence:

“He was a genius and his thinking was ahead of his time.”

Can I use “ahead of his times” in the above sentence?

• pob14

American English
    "His time" means "the time that he lives in." He doesn't live in more than one time, unless he's Doctor Who. :D

We do have phrases such as Thomas Paine's "These are the times that try men's souls," but I think they're generally used to mean "the overall conditions at the present" as opposed to "the period of time an individual lives in."

sunyaer

Chinese
    "His time" means "the time that he lives in." He doesn't live in more than one time, unless he's Doctor Who. :D

Who is Doctor Who?

We have "Victorian times". So, could we say:

Queen Vitoria implemented some political policies in her times? (In her time or times?)

pob14

American English
    Sorry; Doctor Who is a television show about a time traveler.

I'm not sure it's wrong, exactly, but I don't think I would say "her times." So, oddly enough, Queen Victoria's time was in Victorian times. English doesn't always make sense.

sunyaer

Chinese
    Sorry; Doctor Who is a television show about a time traveler.

I'm not sure it's wrong, exactly, but I don't think I would say "her times." So, oddly enough, Queen Victoria's time was in Victorian times. English doesn't always make sense.
    What does "Victorian times" mean? Is it the yrears of her reign in her life or the period of more than one queens?

So the span of Queen Victoria's time is exactly that of Victorian times. Right?

Notes:

I did a test by using Google ngram to search "ahead of her times". There are many hits coming up. I put one good example here from a book published in the United states:

"Juanita was ahead of her times as a female who dappled in carpentry work from time to time." (from book Tough times Tight times What Can You Do?)

How to explain this?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >