ahh

alc112

Argentina Spanish
Hello!
How are you?

I often think when i'm chatting with a non-spanish-speaker that he/she doesnt understand what I mean with Ahh.
I want to know if hat sound is used or not in other languages.
Ahh= i see (what you mean)

Thanks in adance
Cheers

• linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Yes, in English it's the same.

I think in Hindi/Urdu, people would be much likelier to say "Achchaa..!"

In Gujarati, there's so many. We mostly just say "Oh right.." in an indian accent lol. We can also say "Oh éwu...!" (lit. "oh, (it's) like that...!". Another one: "Oh OK" (but the "o" in "OK" is pronounced like in "archeology".

ukuca

Turkish - Turkey
    In Turkish: When chatting if someone says "Ahh" we would understood that he had hurt himself or something occured by mistake. We use "hmmm" or "haa" for "I see" or for "I'm thinking" instead.

alc112

Argentina Spanish
    Whodunit said:
    In German it's either "ah" or - which I consider even more common - "aha" or "ach so".
    This question came up when yesterdy I wrote you "I see" somewhere in the msn.:D

Aha I would say it's a sound we do to say "yes".

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Outsider said:
    But what about the phrase "Oh, I see"? (Not "Ah, I see".)
    Well, I think a native speaker could explain it better. I would use "Oh, I see" to express first surprise and then understanding, as in:

A: Would you like to visit Britain with me next year?
    B: Oh, waht a question. Why would you want me to?
    A: Because I have gotten the chance to go to Gt. Britain for one ýear, and I don't want to be alone.
    B: Oh, I see ...

"B" expresses surprise and understanding, as far as I know. :)

"Ah, I see" sounds redundant, but not wrong. "Ah ok" sounds most natural to me.

Dymn

In the North of Mexico, we say "aja"
    I'd use "ah" and "aha" differently. The meaning of "ah" is just as alc112 described, when you suddenly understand something.

"Aha" is when you come to understand something too, but you use that in a cheeky way, like "Aha! Now I've got you!" (example taken from Wiktionary). You can also use it in an ironical way when somebody is explaining you something but you disagree with them, like "Aha... keep on talking [I'm not paying attention to you anyway]".

That's how I'd use it in Catalan and Spanish (you could use "ahà" and "ajá" respectively to adapt the spelling).

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    In Sardinian we use it in the same way.

When we don't understand or hear what you are saying, we say "ah?!"

While in Italian it's used "eh?!" (but not in Sardinia, we still use "ah" also when we speak Italian.)

nimak

Macedonian
    In Macedonian is used аха (aha) [a'xa], more like [a'ɦa], to express "I see (what you mean)".

аха (aha) particle - to give an affirmative response
    аха (aha) еxclamation - to express surprise, wonder, ridicule, joy etc.
    ах (ah) еxclamation - to express different moods and feelings (pain, sadness, surprise, wonder, joy, anger, etc.).

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    In Russian, we say ага (aga; the second vowel is stressed).
    It should be noted that:
    1) "г" here actually represents the marginal phoneme /ɦ/; it is hard to imagine anybody pronouncing "ага" with the plosive /g/;
    2) "ага" in Russian also means "yes" ("да") in casual informal speech, and otherwise is close to English "aha" (an exclamation of affirmed expectations, I'd say).

What the OP meant is closer to "а!" ([a:]).

< Previous | Next >