aim and aspect [from Textbooks] [scope v. aspect]

hhtt

Turkish
In some university textbooks, there are some parts at the beginning, with a title of "aim and aspect." It's something like "preface". So what could "aspect" could mean for this situation? Can it mean scope? Could aspect used in this way mean limits of a topic?

Source: Question is self-made. There is few context.

Thank you.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    I've written three university textbooks, all of them edited by well-known U.S. publishers. I've taught with, or reviewed, dozens of others. I've never seen a textbook that had a part with this title. A Web search for the phrase "aim and aspect" together with the word textbook had no hits among the billions of Web pages that Google indexes. Can you give us an example or two of such textbooks, or at least tell us what academic field they were in and what country they were published in?

hhtt

Turkish
    I've written three university textbooks, all of them edited by well-known U.S. publishers. I've taught with, or reviewed, dozens of others. I've never seen a textbook that had a part with this title. A Web search for the phrase "aim and aspect" together with the word textbook had no hits among the billions of Web pages that Google indexes. Can you give us an example or two of such textbooks, or at least tell us what academic field they were in and what country they were published in?
    I cannot remember very well, but the topic might be Matlab, Matchcad or Mathematica. And I remember that I have ask this question one of my English Instructors. The answer was there is no exact corresponding for that word. This will be in my mind and I will give the feedback, when I meet with that book again.

I would you like to ask that at what topic did you wrote those books

Is "all of them edited by"="all of them published by" ?

Thank you.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ... I would you like to ask that at what topic did you wrote those books
    Information systems. I'd rather not be more specific, since I prefer to remain personally anonymous here.

Is "all of them edited by"="all of them published by" ? ...
    Both, but when it comes to choosing section titles and so on, the editing work is what matters. I mentioned this because there are publishers and Web sites through which anyone can publish anything. Those sites usually don't provide any editing services, so what ends up in the book is what the author wrote. If the author isn't a native English speaker, or isn't careful, that might not be up to the highest standards. When a major publishing company hires editors, it usually hires well-qualified ones. I was fortunate enough to work with some good ones in my books.

< Previous | Next >