aim at/aim to

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, there

In the following sentence I found:

"This paper was analyzed by several scholars from an array of fields, aiming to create a more solid theoretical framework".

If it is grammatically correct, can I use "aim at" instead of "aim to"?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "Aiming at creating" - "which was aimed at creating"

"This paper, [which was] aimed at creating a more solid theoretical framework, was analyzed by several scholars from an array of fields."

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    You can "aim at" a target. But with the absence of a mention of a target I agree with those above who say it is incorrect.

Aiming at creating a more solid framework, the authors analyzed ...

With the aim of creating a more solid framework, the authors analyzed...

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    "Aiming at creating" - "which was aimed at creating"

"This paper, [which was] aimed at creating a more solid theoretical framework, was analyzed by several scholars from an array of fields."
    You can "aim at" a target. But with the absence of a mention of a target I agree with those above who say it is incorrect.

Aiming at creating a more solid framework, the authors analyzed ...

With the aim of creating a more solid framework, the authors analyzed...
    Also note that the way the sentence was originally phrased, the aiming was being done by the scholars who performed the analysis, and not by the paper itself.

What if I said" This paper, aiming to create a more solid theoretical framework, was analyzed by several scholars from an array of fields". Does it sound odd or is it wrong?

Packard

USA, English
    What if I said" This paper, aiming to create a more solid theoretical framework, was analyzed by several scholars from an array of fields". Does it sound odd or is it wrong?
    It sounds good to me. I might use "various" in place of "an array of", however.

< Previous | Next >