aim at/on/to

yakor

Russian
Hi! Could you tell me please which preposition after "aim" should be used if one
1) Has the goal to do something. (He aimed on (or at/on?) the fulfillment of his goal)
2) He aimed to (or on?) the bird flying high in the sky.
3) He aimed the gun at the bird sitting high in (or on?) the tree.
Thank you in advance.

• Myridon

English - US
    For me, 1) is not a natural sentence regardless of preposition. It says "He had a goal." in a very redundant way.
    2) at
    3) You're asking about the preposition that goes with "sitting in the tree". You have used "aimed at" correctly.

yakor

Russian
    For me, 1) is not a natural sentence regardless of preposition. It says "He had a goal." in a very redundant way.
    Don't you use "aim on" sometimes however?
    Yes, I'm not sure which preposition to use "in the tree" OR "on the tree". (If the bird was sitting on a branch of the tree, but was hidding among other branches with leaves.)

yakor

Russian
    Could one say?
    -The man was aiming on the window. (if it means that he was standing on the window and "aim" is intransitive?)
    ------Also, Could one say," We're aiming for a big improvement" Or instead "for" should be used only "at"?

Myridon

English - US
    -The man was aiming on the window. (if it means that he was standing on the window and "aim" is intransitive?)
    The man was on the window and he was aiming. That's a different sentence structure entirely. "on the window" is unlikely unless the man is Spiderman.

Myridon

English - US
    Yes, I'm not sure which preposition to use "in the tree" OR "on the tree". (If the bird was sitting on a branch of the tree, but was hidding among other branches with leaves.)
    That's a different question entirely and I'm quite sure that there are already several threads on that exact topic.

yakor

Russian
    The man was on the window and he was aiming. That's a different sentence structure entirely. "on the window" is unlikely unless the man is Spiderman.
    OK, "The man was aiming on the road". Is it correct to say like that? I see, of course, that it is another structure. I mean "he was on the road and aiming there".

< Previous | Next >