aim at or aiming at

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I am debating with myself whether to use passive voice or active voice. However, I am still confused. Could you tell me when to use passive and when to use active?

The Ministry of Health and the All-China Federation of Trade Unions have initiated a two-month nationwide campaign aimed at raising public awareness of workers' health and how to prevent occupational diseases.

• vachecow

USA English
    In general, passive voice is used when you want to emphasize who the action is happening to.
    "The deer was shot by the hunter."
    If the hunter is more important, say:
    "The hunter shot the deer."
    When not sure, use active.

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Hi, Ecossaise. I did not say the sentence was wrong. I just don't know when to use passive voice of "aim at" and when to use active?

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Hi, vachecow! Could you use the examples of "aim at" to illustrate your point? Do you think the subject should always be a person when use active voice of "aim at"?

vachecow

USA English
    The subject of aim at does not have to be a person. I agree with Ecossaise, because there is nothing wrong with your original sentence.

For a passive/active example with "aim at":

He aimed at the target but missed it. =active

When he realized the gun was aimed at him, he panicked. =passive

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Thanks, vachecow! Do you think the subject should always be a person when use active voice of "aim at"?
    In your example of active voice, the subject is also a person.

vachecow

USA English
    True, however it is possible to say:

The wind shifted the rocket, aiming it at the unsuspecting sheep.

(Its a dumb sentence, and I actually happen to like sheep, but its what I could think of.)

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    The prow of the ship aimed toward home.

The birds aimed their droppings at my sheets every time I hung them out.
    ----------
    Your sentence is fine Daniel. Your primary verb is in active voice, and your use of 'aimed at' is idiomatically correct. No matter what verb you would put there, it would still be passive in this sentence. No getting around it without tortuous revisions which are unnecessary.

Orange Blossom

kalamazoo

US, English
    The sentence sounds fine to me as is. But you could also say a 'campaign that aims to raise public awareness...'

< Previous | Next >