Aim high, soar high

NewAmerica

Mandarin
I made this: Aim high, soar high.

Could you native English speakers understand it at first sight?

My intention is to express something like "to have ambition and then take action" ("Aim high" is a set phrase which means "have ambition", I believe it is very clear to you. "soar high" is taking action).

Thanks in advance

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    I understand your intention, but I think it misses a step - to soar, you have to have done something to achieve that altitude first. Maybe something like "Aim high, take flight, soar"? Ambition-action-result.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I understand your intention, but I think it misses a step - to soar, you have to have done something to achieve that altitude first. Maybe something like "Aim high, take flight, soar"? Ambition-action-result.
    Reasonable.

Just now I googled "Aim High Soar High", and found there have been a lot of people thinking this way.(Bing has 460,000 RESULTS) ;)

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    It is easier to read your sentence as implying "If you aim high, then you will soar high." In that sense, it sounds like a less-poetic variant of this adage:

suzi br

English / England
    I made this: Aim high, soar high.

Could you native English speakers understand it at first sight?

My intention is to express something like "to have ambition and then take action" ("Aim high" is a set phrase which means "have ambition", I believe it is very clear to you. "soar high" is taking action).

Thanks in advance

It's fine, although it might depend on where you intend to use it.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Clearly this is intended as a slogan, a "wise saying", an aphorism, a proverb -- not a sentence.

For that purpose, it works well and is worded well.

< Previous | Next >