aim on/from

yakor

Russian
Hello,
I wonder if it is normally or possibly to say, "He aimed on the road" in the sense of "He aimed being on the road" (He was standing on the road and aimed there)
Is it OK to say,"He aimed from the forest". (He was hidden (he was hiding) in the forest and aimed from it)

• Copyright

American English
    I have no idea what these might mean unless the person has a rifle. Could you tell us what you want to say, using other words?

yakor

Russian
    I have no idea what these might mean unless the person has a rifle.
    Yes, of course, he had some arms), gun, or something else. Or how could he aim without it? Is it possible to say like this omitting "at something or someone"?
    -Where he aimed from?
    -I think, he aimed from the forest. or
    -I think he aimed right on the road.
    ot some preposition is needed after aimed? Maybe "for"?

Copyright

American English
    Yes, of course, he had some arms), gun, or something else. Or how could he aim without it?
    You can do quite a lot of aiming in English without having a gun. Your first sentence – "He aimed on the road" – was unidiomatic enough that it was possible to guess that you might have wanted something like this: "He aimed to be on the road by 6am."

The more context you offer, the less we have to quiz you to find out your meaning.
    Is it possible to say like this omitting "at something or someone"?
    -Where he aimed from?
    -I think, he aimed from the forest. or
    -I think he aimed right on the road.
    ot some preposition is needed after aimed? Maybe "for"?
    It is difficult to answer this because if you put logic before language, how do we know that he aimed at all? Probably because he fired. So this sounds like police work after the fact of a firearms incident. If that's true, the conversation would discuss shooting rather than aiming, and might go like this:

Where did he shoot from?
    I think from that stand of trees over there.
    I think he shot from the road.

< Previous | Next >