aims at> giving an overview

< Previous | Next >

Maimai

Hello,

I wrote a sentence and I'd like to know how it sounds :
"This documents aims at giving an overview of the group and it current missions, and also at making proposals for reorganisation."

Thnak you!

• clairet

England & English (UK version)
    its current...

"aims to give...and also to make" is more eloquent (IMO) but "aims at giving...and also at making" is fine (actually, "aims to give...and also at making" might be best, to provide some variety)

"missions" may or may not be OK, depending on context. It's used in current business-speak but won't always fit.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I have a slightly personal problem with anything that aims at two things at the same time. It isn't going to hit both targets :)

I also prefer to be more assertive at the introduction.
    So I suggest leaving out the aiming and declaring what you believe it does:
    This documents gives an overview of the group and its current mission, and makes proposals for reorganisation.

Only a suggestion.

clairet

England & English (UK version)
    I have a slightly personal problem with anything that aims at two things at the same time. It isn't going to hit both targets :)

I also prefer to be more assertive at the introduction.
    So I suggest leaving out the aiming and declaring what you believe it does:
    This documents gives an overview of the group and its current mission, and makes proposals for reorganisation.

Only a suggestion.
    I agree that your suggestion is an improvement on anything suggested so far. However, one can hit two birds with one stone, I believe. :D More seriously, I think one can have a list of aims (quite common in reports).

< Previous | Next >