ain’t you flush!

nile84

Persian
A man tips the waiter more than usual (he used to give him a dime, this time he palms him a half dollar coin.) The waiter's eyes go wide, and he says:
“Oh, Mr. Allenby, ain’t you flush!

[Uncommon Type - Tom Hanks]

Would you please tell me what this phrase - ain’t you flush! - means?

Thanks.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Flush is an informal (and perhaps a bit outdated?) adjective meaning that you have plenty of something, especially money. For example:
    Sorry I couldn’t get you a better birthday present. I’m not very flush at the moment.

nile84

Persian
    Flush is an informal (and perhaps a bit outdated?) adjective meaning that you have plenty of something, especially money. For example:
    Sorry I couldn’t get you a better birthday present. I’m not very flush at the moment.
    So here it means "you have a lot of money!", or "you are very rich!"
    Thank you, lingobingo.

lingobingo

English - England
    I wouldn’t say at all that it means very rich. Someone rich would be flush all the time! It tends to be used in relation to someone who normally does not have much money, so it’s particularly noticeable when suddenly they have.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I didn't know Tom Hanks was an author but it sounds as if this is supposed to date from the Depression Era, judging by the money amount. Here, "flush" perhaps means something like "full". It's not a lot but about as much as you could expect to get. A good amount. Say you make $100 a week and you win $1000 at the horse races. In the OP case it's ironic.

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    I didn't know Tom Hanks was an author
    I didn't either. Interesting. I assumed the OP meant Uncommon Type was a film starring Tom Hanks. Your post made me look it up - I wasn't sure if you were joking or not - and I found it's indeed a book.

nile84

Persian
    I didn't either. Interesting. I assumed the OP meant Uncommon Type was a film starring Tom Hanks. Your post made me look it up - I wasn't sure if you were joking or not - and I found it's indeed a book.
    Yes, it's his first book; a collection of short stories, and very interesting indeed.

< Previous | Next >