Aint nobody got time for that

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
-3LDfznEjgI.jpg Mondays? Aint nobody got time for that.

I guess this phrase is supposed to mean: "Does nobody have got time for that?" / Has nobody got time for that?
But even so I'm afraid I don't get the joke
Could you explain it to me:)

Last edited:
  • GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    The phrase was taken from a video on youtube that I remember being used on Russell Howard's Good News (a TV show). It means "nobody has time for that!"

The phrase was made popular because of it's frequent use on the aforementioned TV show.

:)

GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    That's part of the humour for which it is used on the show, Russell Howard is a comedian. If you look on Youtube for videos of the show and the quote, maybe you'll understand it better.

But no, it isn't a question. :)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    "Ain't" is short for "isn't", except that it isn't actually any shorter. Silly, ain't it?
    In this statement there is an elision of "there", and of "who has", so it becomes: (There) ain't nobody (who's) got time for that.
    Note the double negative, which here ain't a positive but is just for emphasis of the negation,
    If you want to turn the double negative into a single negative, you can either remove the negative from "isn't" (as Copyright did), or (as I'd prefer) from "nobody", so for me it becomes "There isn't anybody who has (got) time for that." I like it better without "got".

mplsray

The following is from "African American Vernacular English Is Not Standard English with Mistakes" by Geoffrey K. Pullum:

NEGATIVE INVERSION

Another key feature of AAVE (not shared by Cockney or other dialects) involves repositioning a negative auxiliary verb at the beginning of the sentence when the subject is indefinite. Thus we find Ain't nobody gonna find out, meaning "Nobody is going to find out."

< Previous | Next >