"Ain't nobody's stoppin' me"

Tobus

Banned
Canada, English
Hallo,
excuse please my poor English. I heared a rap song on the channel and man said "Ain't nobody's stoppin' me". I thinks that this is wrong, but no-one knows? Is rapper-man wrong?

• 94kittycat

Canadian English
    Hi, Tobus...

In the English language there is a lot of slang, and "Ain't nobody's stoppin' me" is an example of it. Really, what the rapper is trying to say is: "Nobody is stopping me." That would be the correct way to say that.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello Tobus,
    Another translation of the slang is "There isn't anybody stopping me."

The meaning may be a little different, depending, of course, on the context. Ain't nobody's stoppin' me is sometimes said in vernacular English as a declaration: Nobody is going to stop me.

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    Hallo,
    excuse please my poor English. I heared a rap song on the channel and man said "Ain't nobody's stoppin' me". I thinks that this is wrong, but no-one knows? Is rapper-man wrong?
    Tobus, if you're listening to popular music and looking for "proper English," it's a lost cause. Incidentally, the way that rapper speaks is indicative of either a poor education or a particular dialect, depending on how you see it. Incidentally, as a young person myself, I can tell you that most rappers would consider that sentence wrong. Are you sure you didn't mean to write:

Ain't nobody stoppin' me [now].

This is a whole different, unique culture we're talking about and the speech patterns used by people in it is easily worthy of its own CD thread. So careful using phrases like "rapper-man" as it could be seen to be offensive by some forer@s. ;)

< Previous | Next >