Ain't that a cake

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Am I right in thinking that "Ain't that a cake" is a variation of the set expression "easy as pie / easy as cake"?
I infer from the following context that it means his death came so swift and sure that he couldn't feel any pain at all.

Example
:
Old man: Ain't that a cake ? I didn't feel a thing !

Maison: That's because I took your soul out right before you hit the diving board, sir.

Old man: So, huh, I'm dead ?

Source: Dead Like Me, Season 2 Episode 4

Background: A diving attempt came to a tragic end when an old man slipped off of a top diving board and hit face-first onto the one below. His soul was now standing by Maison, the grim reaper that had reaped him in time before the accident. Watching his own body being carted off, the old man told Maison that he didn't feel a thing when he hit the diving board.

• Myridon

English - US
    I suspect your transcription (the character's name is Mason not Maison).
    "Ain't that a kick!" seems more likely.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Hi, if it turned out to be "Ain't that a kick", would it mean something along the lines of "Ain't that easy"?
    Right now, I'm leaning towards the view that it's a contraction of "a piece of cake" . It seems to make sense in this context where the elderly man is saying that he doesn't believe the death came so easy and involved no agony. If anyone is interested, you can check the clip "dead like me 204 part 2" (5:54-6:00) on youtube. :D

Myridon

English - US
    Hi, if it turned out to be "Ain't that a kick", would it mean something along the lines of "Ain't that easy"?
    No, it means "Isn't that something amazing/great/fun!" I listened to it. It's "kick."
    Related to this meaning from WRD:
    4. informal a stimulating or exciting quality or effect (esp in the phrases get a kick out of or for kicks)
    or Merriam-Webster

5b : a stimulating or pleasurable effect or experience <got a big kick out of meeting him>
    or the Dean Martin song "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" (1960 with music by Jimmy Van Heusen and lyrics by Sammy Cahn).

< Previous | Next >