air/finger quotes

Dawei

English (USA)
If I use the quotation fingers in the same way that I use them in English to indicate a quote, will it be understood by someone from Taiwan?

If not, how can I express this?

• hilfmir

Chinese-Mandarin
    There is originally no such gesture language in Chinese. Maybe only young persons who are very familiar with English culture can understand.

indigoduck

Canadian English
    If I use the quotation fingers in the same way that I use them in English to indicate a quote, will it be understood by someone from Taiwan?

If not, how can I express this?
    Is this understood anywhere in the chinese speaking world ? How about in Hong Kong or Singapore, for example ?

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    I've never seen them used in a Chinese context, but I can imagine that when some famous TV host begins to use them, people will follow the practice readily.

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    I think when you use the quotation fingers to indicate a quote, this gesture should naturally be accompanied by the quote itself (said in a different intonation that sets it apart from the main speech). So, in normal circumstances I don't think it'd be difficult for the listener(s) to understand what you're doing. I think, the quotation fingers are after all only an aid, and not crucial when quoting in speech.

hilfmir

Chinese-Mandarin
    I think when you use the quotation fingers to indicate a quote, this gesture should naturally be accompanied by the quote itself (said in a different intonation that sets it apart from the main speech). So, in normal circumstances I don't think it'd be difficult for the listener(s) to understand what you're doing. I think, the quotation fingers are after all only an aid, and not crucial when quoting in speech.
    well since under most condition Chinese don't use this gesture and it's a little bit hard to tell a quoting from one's own words in a speech, using the quotation fingers should be very confusing for those didn't know it. As I did when watch Friends.

Jerry Chan

Cantonese, Hokkien
    Agreed with Xiaolijie.

Even if you don't know what the quotation fighers mean, the exaggerated intonation and gesture should tell you that the term is :thumbsup:SPECIAL.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

samanthalee

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    There is originally no such gesture language in Chinese. Maybe only young persons who are very familiar with English culture can understand.
    Come to think of it, you are right. I don't think I've seen anyone above 40 use the quotation fingers in Singapore.

Is this understood anywhere in the chinese speaking world ? How about in Hong Kong or Singapore, for example ?
    Yes, it's well understood in Singapore, at least among the young and the not so old. Afterall, we grew up on a diet of Sesame Street, Smurfs and Gummy Bears (there was a dearth of Chinese children's TV programs in Singapore in the 70s and 80s), so my generation of Chinese Singaporeans is a little more atypical than elsewhere.

< Previous | Next >