Air the wine

< Previous | Next >

J-ok'el

Banned
Italian
Good evening,

While translating the first subtitles of a Chinese film, I found this sentence, specifically:

"we already aired the wine".

As of the context, this sentence is pronounced after a guy arrives late. He's supposed to take a dog and you can also see him having a drink and eating a cake. There's nothing else more specific to clarify this. Is it something commonly said? What does it mean?
Thanks!

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Might sound stupid, but does the wine breathe? I am a complete pleb about wines haha
    Welcome!
    From the WRF dictionary (use the Search box at the top of the page - they are good dictionaries:)):
    1. Breathe Wine (of a wine) to be open to the air after being uncorked, in order to develop flavor and bouquet:[no object]We opened the bottle and let the wine breathe.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    No. Decant is the action of pouring from the bottle into a decanter. Once that is done, the wine can breathe (it is exposed to oxygen and is affected by it - hence the term "breathe:))

Loob

English UK
    What I'm familiar with is "let the wine breathe", as in several posts above. I don't think I've ever heard "air the wine" -

Tommy2Sheds

English - UK
    "We already aired the wine" would be said to imply that they had opened the wine before he arrived, it had been open a while, and it was ready to drink. If they only opened the wine when he arrived they would have to wait until it had a chance to breathe as described by JulianStuart.

london calling

UK English
    "We already aired the wine" would be said to imply that they had opened the wine before he arrived, it had been open a while, and it was ready to drink. If they only opened the wine when he arrived they would have to wait until it had a chance to breathe as described by JulianStuart.
    I've never heard 'air the wine' either but I agree with this. I imagine the (red) wine having already been decanted and left to breathe before the guests arrived , which is exactly what should be done 😊.

< Previous | Next >