airy-fairy

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by minoski, May 8, 2008.

1. minoski

minoski Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Ciao a tutti. Secondo voi come potrei tradurre con un'espressione altrettanto evocativa l'aggettivo "airy-fairy", senza essere eccessivamente terra-terra?

"Marx and Engels wished us to disregard the airy-fairy thoughts of intellectuals."

Mi viene in mente solo l'espressione "aria fritta", ma non mi sembra per niente adatta al contesto.

Qualche idea?

Grazie :p
    c.

2. Janey UK

Janey UK Senior Member

Norfolk, England
    Native speaker of British English
    The garzanti translates 'airy-fairy' as either 'vano' or 'illusorio'...do these suggest the dreamy, head-in-the-clouds quality of the original English expression? If not, could you use 'etereo' (ethereal) or 'astratto' (abstract) or 'irreale' (insubstantial)?

3. rocamadour

rocamadour Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Not exactly, in my opinion.
    Maybe I would translate "campato per aria".

4. minoski

minoski Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Yes, I thought the expression had to be a little more colorful than the options given in some dictionaries. As for "campato per aria", don't you think it could be a bit stronger than the original? I'm just asking because I don't catch the precise nuance of "airy-fairy" and I don't want to insult these intellectuals too much!!
    c.

5. rocamadour

rocamadour Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    I agree, with you, Cristina. :thumbsup:
    If you want to be "softer" what about inconsistente (or evanescente)?

EDIT:
    [A dire la verità, ripensandoci, questi due termini concettualmente forse sono ancora più "offensivi" che "campato per aria"... :D]

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  6. Benzene

Benzene Senior Member

GENOA (ITALY)
    Italian from Italy
    Ciao Cristina!

L'Oxford-Paravia Concise traduce "airy-fairy" con "fantasioso, bizzarro, stravagante".

Bye,

Benzene

7. rocamadour

rocamadour Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Concordo decisamente con l'Oxford-Paravia! :thumbsup:
    [A volte i dizionari bisogna proprio andare ad aprirli...:p Grazie Benz! :)]

8. minoski

minoski Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Quindi mi consigliate di perdere la "frizzantezza" dell'originale e tradurre in modo un po' più neutro?
    c.

9. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    As far as the nuance of "airy-fairy" is concerned, it would usually be said in a very dismissive way by someone more concerned with the practicalities of life. I could imagine Marx and Engels saying it with a bit of a sneer. So maybe "campato per aria" is not too strong in this case (unless I have misunderstood the nuance of that expression:D).

10. minoski

minoski Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Thank you Murphy. I'm glad I finally have the opinion of a native English speaker! ;) (though, of course, I thank anyone who helped me on this!)
    I'll go for "campato per aria", then :)
    c.