airy-fairy

minoski

Italian
Ciao a tutti. Secondo voi come potrei tradurre con un'espressione altrettanto evocativa l'aggettivo "airy-fairy", senza essere eccessivamente terra-terra?

"Marx and Engels wished us to disregard the airy-fairy thoughts of intellectuals."

Mi viene in mente solo l'espressione "aria fritta", ma non mi sembra per niente adatta al contesto.

Qualche idea?

Grazie :p
c.

• Janey UK

Native speaker of British English
    The garzanti translates 'airy-fairy' as either 'vano' or 'illusorio'...do these suggest the dreamy, head-in-the-clouds quality of the original English expression? If not, could you use 'etereo' (ethereal) or 'astratto' (abstract) or 'irreale' (insubstantial)?

minoski

Italian
    Yes, I thought the expression had to be a little more colorful than the options given in some dictionaries. As for "campato per aria", don't you think it could be a bit stronger than the original? I'm just asking because I don't catch the precise nuance of "airy-fairy" and I don't want to insult these intellectuals too much!!
    c.

rocamadour

Italian
    As for "campato per aria", don't you think it could be a bit stronger than the original? I'm just asking because I don't catch the precise nuance of "airy-fairy" and I don't want to insult these intellectuals too much!!
    c.
    I agree, with you, Cristina. :thumbsup:
    If you want to be "softer" what about inconsistente (or evanescente)?

EDIT:
    [A dire la verità, ripensandoci, questi due termini concettualmente forse sono ancora più "offensivi" che "campato per aria"... :D]

Last edited:

Murphy

English, UK
    As far as the nuance of "airy-fairy" is concerned, it would usually be said in a very dismissive way by someone more concerned with the practicalities of life. I could imagine Marx and Engels saying it with a bit of a sneer. So maybe "campato per aria" is not too strong in this case (unless I have misunderstood the nuance of that expression:D).

minoski

Italian
    Thank you Murphy. I'm glad I finally have the opinion of a native English speaker! ;) (though, of course, I thank anyone who helped me on this!)
    I'll go for "campato per aria", then :)
    c.