airy

prpeggy

Chinese-Taiwan
"He had walked through this airy, enchanted forest with his dogs many times..."

This is from an article from The Observer. What does airy mean here: full of fresh air or in a very high place or something else? Dost it have the connotation of other-worldliness?

Thanks for response.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is impossible to say - you have given no context.

Is the example a fantasy story? Is "enchanted" being used to indicate magic, or does it mean "delightful". Who is the man? Etc?

Can you provide a link?

prpeggy

Chinese-Taiwan
    file:///F:/RD2017/IE171203_Making_Yogurt_Healing_Minds_EEO%20copy.pdf

The context is really not relevant. I am just wondering when someone describe a forest as airy, what kind of impression would that strike you.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    file:///F:/RD2017/IE171203_Making_Yogurt_Healing_Minds_EEO%20copy.pdf
    That file exists only on your computer, i.e. it is inaccessible.

When I wrote "link" I meant a hyperlink to the web-page on which the example appears.
    The context is really not relevant.
    Not only is the context very relevant, it is a rule that you provide context. Can you help? :thumbsup:

prpeggy

Chinese-Taiwan
    What an idiot I am!!! I cannot find the link, but I will give more context.

It is from Reader's Digest's "Making Yogurt, Healing Minds" by Giles Tremlet:

In 1984 a disillusioned Spanish psychologist named Cristóbal Colón drove his Citroën 2CV through a high-canopied Catalan forest called La Fageda d’en Jordà. Colón had walked through this airy, enchanted forest with his Bouvier des Flandres dogs many times, but now he was on his way to buy a farm.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In this sense, "airy" means that the trees are not too close together; that there are open areas within the forest. "Airy" refers to the idea that there is a good circulation of air" - it is a somewhat poetic word.

La Fageda d’en Jordà is largely a deciduous forested area, rather than a forest - it is in a hilly, rather than 'mountainous' countryside - thus it does not have the idea of being "high up in the mountains".

"Enchanted" is used in its figurative sense "charming, delightful, attractive, bewitching, etc."

The source is The Guardian newspaper: Cultivating a workers’ paradise

prpeggy

Chinese-Taiwan
    Every dictionary explains airy as you do. Somehow I am hoping it has the connotation of other-worldliness. A weird hope. Thanks again.

< Previous | Next >