ajouter à la carte ses propres conditions

French is Bon

English - England
Bonjour tout le monde,

J'essaie de faire une traduction de 'Il n'a pas le droit d'y ajouter à la carte ses propres conditions suspensives.'

En ce moment j'ai 'He is not allowed (/does not have the right) to add to the mix his own conditions precedent'

J'ai l'impression que 'add to the mix' c'est un peu loin de 'ajouter à la carte', mais 'add to the map' ne se dit pas.

Vous pouvez m'aider?

Merci d'avance.

• Philippides

Français - France
    Hello,
    Nothing to do with map. It's the difference between choisir le menu (i.e. a set menu) and commander à la carte (order dishes individually)

French is Bon

English - England
    Hello,
    Nothing to do with map. It's the difference between choisir le menu (i.e. a set menu) and commander à la carte (order dishes individually)
    Merci, I thought so but 'add to the menu' also seems a bit of an odd translation. Would 'add to the mix' be appropriate?

Philippides

Français - France
    Can't you use "à la carte" also in English?
    Or maybe something along personalised conditions.
    I guess that the context is a contract or an agreement. Therefore I do not really understand what the mix would be here.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Yes, you may use à la carte here in English, although it might be considered fairly high register. You could read it in a newspaper or advertisement--not sure it is frequently used in a normal conversation.

Alternatively and more conversationally, He has no right just to throw in his own conditions or ...any old condition he wants.

French is Bon

English - England
    Can't you use "à la carte" also in English?
    Or maybe something along personalised conditions.
    I guess that the context is a contract or an agreement. Therefore I do not really understand what the mix would be here.
    Ah I see, I hadn't understood the implication of choice properly. Perhaps à la carte is the best translation then.

< Previous | Next >