Akademischer Grad

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    To reach the degree of "Bachelor of Science"
    It's more common to say to earn the Bachelor of Science degree. There are no quotation marks.

"Akademischer Grad" on its own is academic degree, but in the context that we have, academic would be redundant.

sarcie

English - Ireland
    I think we usually use "obtain" in this case:

To obtain a Bachelor of Science degree.

or

To obtain a Bachelor's degree in science.

or (informally)

To get a B.Sc. / degree in science.
    In Ireland, when you say "degree", the "Bachelor" is understood. To refer to a postgraduate qualification, you have to specify a "postgrad" degree, a "masters" or a "doctorate" or "Phd".

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    "Obtain" is certainly possible, but "earn" is very common - and I'd say more common - in the US. They may be regional differences.

For what it's worth, there are 5 times as many Google results for "earn a degree" than there are for "obtain a degree."

heidita

Banned
    Germany (German, English, Spanish)
    It's more common to say to earn the Bachelor of Science degree. There are no quotation marks.

"Akademischer Grad" on its own is academic degree, but in the context that we have, academic would be redundant.

That's very interesting. I thought earn could only be used "salary earning" like.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    I wouldn't have used 'earn' in this context either -- unless the person who gets the degree deserves it, maybe! :)
    As I said, "earn" is the verb commonly used in this context in American English.

It is assumed that once a degree is conferred on you, you have met the degree requirements - thus, you have earned it. :)

< Previous | Next >