Akin to finishing a jigsaw puzzle...

johnj7

US, English
Hello,

Here is the sentence in question:
Akin to finishing a jigsaw puzzle, critically thinking about the data to answer the original research questions was equally as gratifying.

I'm trying to make an analogy between the satisfaction of finishing a jigsaw puzzle to thinking about the data in a way that answers the original scientific research questions. Something just seems off about the sentence, I think it has to do with improper comparisons. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Is it okay as is?

As context, here is the sentence before:
After collecting data on voltage gated sodium and calcium channels, the most rewarding aspect of my research experience began. Akin to finishing a jigsaw puzzle, critically thinking about the data to answer the original research questions was equally as gratifying.

Thanks!

Copyright

American English
Finishing a jigsaw puzzle is an accomplishment. Thinking about research questions is a process. Finding the right answers to those question is an accomplishment.

That's why it sounds off to me.

johnj7

US, English
Copyright, thanks for that quick reply, I think it helped a lot. I just rearranged the sentence, and it sounds much better:

Similar to finishing a jigsaw puzzle, answering the original research questions by critically thinking about the data was equally as gratifying.

I have a different question though. Do you think that the context sentence before that one should be combined with a semi colon, or would that just be too complex of a sentence and tire the reader out?

For example:
After collecting data on voltage gated sodium and calcium channels, the most rewarding aspect of my research experience began; similar to finishing a jigsaw puzzle, answering the original research questions by critically thinking about the data was equally as gratifying.

Or do you think the sentences naturally flow enough without the semicolon, and are fine with just a period to separate them?

Thank you!

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
I'm still not a huge fan of the sentence; I think it's because you say both "similar to finishing a jigsaw puzzle" and "was equally as gratifying," which is redundant.

Here's my suggestion:

The most rewarding part of my research experience began after I had collected data on voltage gated sodium and calcium channels. Being able to answer the original research questions by critically thinking about the data was as gratifying as finishing a jigsaw puzzle.

That eliminates the redundancy and takes care of some other issues as well.