Akkadian ṣētu and Arabic ضوء ḍawʔ "light"

inquisitiveness1

English - USA
Are the Akkadian word ṣētu "light; heat; drought" and the Arabic word ضَوْء ḍawʔ "light" considered to be related? Are they even phonologically compatible, assuming the Akkadian has the feminine -t marker suffixed to it (I am not not even sure how Akkadian would deal with a root whose last two root consonants are و/w and ء/ʔ)?

(Edit: I supposed that at least in the sense of "drought", maybe it is instead related to Hebrew צִיָּה ṣiyyah "dry; dry place"? Assuming that both the Arabic and Hebrew terms are phonological compatible, maybe the Akkadian term encases two different etymons?)

Last edited:
  • Wadi Hanifa

Arabic
    Are the Akkadian word ṣētu "light; heat; drought" and the Arabic word ضَوْء ḍawʔ "light" considered to be related? Are they even phonologically compatible, assuming the Akkadian has the feminine -t marker suffixed to it (I am not not even sure how Akkadian would deal with a root whose last two root consonants are و/w and ء/ʔ)?

(Edit: I supposed that at least in the sense of "drought", maybe it is instead related to Hebrew צִיָּה ṣiyyah "dry; dry place"? Assuming that both the Arabic and Hebrew terms are phonological compatible, maybe the Akkadian term encases two different etymons?)

You will find correspondences between Akkadian and Arabic ض, but I think the more significant problem here is the ē , which from my (very limited) knowledge of Akkadian corresponds to an ancestral عـ, so the Akkadian root would have to correspond with an Arabic root that contained عـ or even غـ.