al margen

Teachertranslator

English - Canada
I've searched through all the forum discussions of "al margen" and none of them solve my problem.

I am translating a police clearance document from Mexico and it says (after stating that they have searched in their electronic database and giving the person's name): "cuya fotografía e impresión de huella dactilar constan al margen."

My attempt is: "whose photograph and digital fingerprint appears in the margin."

My problem is -- I can't imagine how you could have a photograph and fingerprint in the margin of a database. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Any ideas?

• Kibramoa

Spanish - MX
    So the clearance document you have does not have the person's picture & finger print?
    They searched the databases and then issued a print out with the person's photo & had him/her put their fingerprint on the certificate itself, on the side.
    [I'm just guessing that's what they did].

:)

Teachertranslator

English - Canada
    Yes! I must be going brain-dead! The paper certificate does have a photo and fingerprint that they obviously printed out. And the photo and the fingerprint are on the left side of the certificate. The fingerprint is digital or an electronic copy. I wouldn't say that they are in the margin, but close enough.

I guess I turn really dumb when I've spent the day translating.

I think I'll translate it as "on the left of the certificate", rather than "in the margin".

Thank you, Kibramoa & Micafe.

< Previous | Next >