al rato cuidate y que...

moz85214

English US
I know this is not a translation service, but I have no one to ask. Alta Vista is not very helpful. Can someone tell me what my friend is asking? I won't do it again, promise.

"...al rato cuidate y que te balla bien por mi no te preocupes. ai te ban dos aplicaciones para ti y amanda ustedes las tienen que mandar a la oficina de visita yo tambien llene una pero como no me se sus numeros de seguro la deje a medias si ustedes se dan carrilla sera mejor. estare muy agradecido por todo y ay nos bemos."

• micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    I know this is not a translation service, but I have no one to ask. Alta Vista is not very helpful. Can someone tell me what my friend is asking? I won't do it again, promise.

"...al rato cuidate y que te balla bien por mi no te preocupes. ai te ban dos aplicaciones para ti y amanda ustedes las tienen que mandar a la oficina de visita yo tambien llene una pero como no me se sus numeros de seguro la deje a medias si ustedes se dan carrilla sera mejor. estare muy agradecido por todo y ay nos bemos."
    gee.. no offense but your friend's spelling is terrible!!!

Apparently he sent you two applications one for you and one for Amanda that you need to fill out and send to the 'visitor's office':confused:. He's sending them to you without filling them out completely because he doesn't know your Security (social security:confused: ) number. He's very grateful and will see you soon.
    ;)

trotamundos

Spanish-Spain (where I was born) / English-UK (where I live)
    Ok, sounds like your friend is not very good at spelling I'm afraid. My guess is he/she is Latin American as I don't understand a couple of words either - this is to do with differences between Latin American Spanish and Spanish from Spain, I'm not suggesting they can't spell for being Latin American!

what comes before "al rato"? the rest should read:

"...al rato cuÍdate y que te VAYA bien, por mÍ no te preocupes. AHÍ te Van dos aplicaciones para tÍ y amanda, ustedes las tienen que mandar a la oficina de visita, yo tambiÉn llenÉ una, pero como no me se sus números de seguro la dejÉ a medias; si ustedes se dan carrilla serÁ mejor. estarÉ muy agradecido por todo y ahí nos vemos."

He's basically saying "hope all's well with you, don't worry about me. I´m attaching 2 aplication forms for you and Amanda, you have to send them to the visitors office. I also filled one out but since I don't know your insurance numbers if you XXXXXX ("se dan carrilla"??? never heard this before) it'll be better. I'll be very grateful for everything and see you soon"

Does that help?

trotamundos

ok micafe, you're a lot quicker than me! :) So that expression doesn't mean anything to you either?? I'm intrigued now

trotamundos

número de seguro - you're right, I thought of insurance but he's probably talking about social security...

moz85214

English US
    thank you for translating y i know my friend's spelling is terrible. i'm trying to learn espanol myself, but it's really hard. any helpful ideas? what should i begin with?

trotamundos

Well I don't want to sound cruel but don't ask him to help! I mean, bad habits you acquire when you start learning a language can stick with you for a long time, so look for a better source... it all depends on your current level of Spanish.

If it's still very basic then try and sign up for some classes. Reading helped me a lot, school books can be very tedious but you can buy books (i.e. novels) that have been adapted especifically for foreign readers and are graded from basic to advanced. I can't remember the name of the publishers but any good bookshop should have at least a small selection. I wouldn't go for magazines or newspapers until you feel more confident.

TV is great for training your ears! When I first moved to the UK I had to watch everything with subtitles on and that helped me a lot too. So if you have access to any Spanish speaking channels and can turn the subtitles on try and make some time for that.

When you feel confident enough to have a spoken conversation, find yourself a "conversation exchange" partner. I used to put adds on newspapers, and whilst I was at Uni, on the message boards there. When you have a conversation with somebody one to one, you can help each other out and you learn so much more when you speak! Your brain seems to register things that you say better than things you read or write... don't ask me why, but it works! So even reading aloud would help you...

I hope this helps! Buena suerte!

micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    ok micafe, you're a lot quicker than me! :) So that expression doesn't mean anything to you either?? I'm intrigued now
    No, it does not. I think 'al rato' is a Mexican expression, I don't really know what it means. The other expression.. what is it.. 'se dan carrilla'? No idea. By context I'd say it means 'if you hurry up' but couldn't swear to it.

Tal vez más nos ayude a descifrar el misterio:rolleyes:

;)

El Profe

USA, English

...in jus a bit take care of yourself and that things go well (for you) don't worry about me. Here goes 2 applications for you and amanda, you guys have to send them to the visitor's office; I too filled one out, but because I didn't know your number(i'm guessin too he ment social security) [seguro social], I left it unfinished; if you guys take care of it yourselves it would be better.[Carrilla can have different meaings, but I think what he meant here was if you guys give it work, hence do it yourselves?) pero la neta no estoy totalmente seguro] I willl be very gratefull for everything and we'll be seeing you."

osea nada q ver con estas personas aq de mala onda hablando mal de tu amigito. hay gente q no pueden deletrear bien, pero eso es pq en espanol, b y v se suenan los mismos a tiempos.. Y ademas, no ponemos los accentos, pq es mucho mas facil escribir sin ellos.

I mean nothing to see with these ppl in here talking bad about your friend. There are ppl who can't spell well, but that is because in spanish b and v sound the same at times.. and furthermore, we didn't use the accents, because it's much more easier to write with out them. My advice to you guy, is DO ASK your friend, because although his spelling may be wrong, he knows how to speak spanish, you can ask him questions. ALSO, it's a good idea, to immerse yourself into culture, music, movies, television programs, native speaker (case in point your friend) etc etc... Don't be afriad to make mistakes, even if you sound funny. Pick up some good books, Barron's are pretty good. A few good dictionaries, I also suggest, picking up some verb dictionaries, so you can learn how to conjugate well. Everything after that is effort. Practice makes perfect! :D Good luck!! Muchisima suerte!!!

Tu Nuevo Amigo,
    El Profe

sunheat

Spanish
    Ok, sounds like your friend is not very good at spelling I'm afraid. My guess is he/she is Latin American as I don't understand a couple of words either - this is to do with differences between Latin American Spanish and Spanish from Spain, I'm not suggesting they can't spell for being Latin American!

"...al rato cuÍdate y que te VAYA bien, por mÍ no te preocupes. AHÍ te Van dos aplicaciones para tÍ y amanda, ustedes las tienen que mandar a la oficina de visita, yo tambiÉn llenÉ una, pero como no me se sus números de seguro la dejÉ a medias; si ustedes se dan carrilla serÁ mejor. estarÉ muy agradecido por todo y ahí nos vemos."

He's basically saying "hope all's well with you, don't worry about me. I´m attaching 2 aplication forms for you and Amanda, you have to send them to the visitors office. I also filled one out but since I don't know your insurance numbers if you XXXXXX ("se dan carrilla"??? never heard this before) it'll be better. I'll be very grateful for everything and see you soon"

Does that help?
    Carrilla es un modismo. Es dar lata, insistir vehementemente.

Alexis Advance

Chile - Language: Spanish/Español

"...al rato cuÍdate y que te VAYA bien, por mÍ no te preocupes. AHÍ te Van dos aplicaciones para y amanda, ustedes las tienen que mandar a la oficina de visita, yo tambiÉn llenÉ una, pero como no me se sus números de seguro la dejÉ a medias; si ustedes se dan carrilla serÁ mejor. estarÉ muy agradecido por todo y ahí nos vemos."

Does that help?

"Ti" no debe llevar tilde.

sunheat

Spanish
    Sunheat q es vehementemente??
    Hola Profe!

Vehemente= es obrar de forma impetuosa, con mucha energía, insistir o hacer algo con pasión.

En este caso sería insistir impetuosamente. Eso es como dar carrilla.
    Carrilla te digo, es dar lata es un modismo para decir insistirles mucho y muy seguido, pero vehementemente es un poco más propio.

< Previous | Next >