Albanian: Gheg / Tosk

abes

German
Hello everybody,

I'm goingt to Pristina (Kosovo) this Summer in order to work there for about eight or nine months. I want to learn at least a bit of the language beforehand, but after I saw that there are different dialects and that some online learning platforms often don't use the same, I'm a bit confused about the correct form to start with.

I have read that in Kosovo most Albanian people speak Gheg Albanian (Gegnisht-Shqyp). However, a kind of standard is Tosk Albanian which seems more popular in language learning books and on online learning platforms. Therefore, it seems easier to me to learn Tosk Albanian due to the broader access to learning material.

Can I speak with the people in Pristina Tosk Albanian as well? Is it easy to adopt some Gheg words when I already know the basics of Albanian in Tosk?

It would be very nice if somebody could help me with that.

Best regards!

• iezik

Slovenian
    Can I speak with the people in Pristina Tosk Albanian as well? Is it easy to adopt some Gheg words when I already know the basics of Albanian in Tosk?
    I would say yes. In Albania, both dialects are used. Kosovo and Albania have friendly attitudes towards each other and there is plenty of exchange between the speakers of Albanian dialects.

I would say the the differences within Albanian (language in pubs in Tirana and Prishtina) are much smaller than differences within German (language in pubs in Berlin and Munich). I would suggest you select the learning method or tool that best suits your learning habits.

< Previous | Next >