Albanian: i biri

< Previous | Next >

yannalan

france, french, breton
Hi,

On my albanian lesson, there is the word "i biri" and "djali" for "the son". I undestand that "bir " means "son" and the "i" of "biri" us an article. But what is the first "i "for ? And by the way, does "djali" have the same signification ?
Falemderit

• AgonSK

Italian and Albanian
    Hi,

- "bir" means "son" and "djal" is a more general term which can also mean "boy" or "guy".

- the "i" isn't an article, but a particle albanian uses to indicate adjectives (among other functions), ex. "i mirë" (masc. "good") / "e mi" (fem. "good") or "i sigurt"/"e sigurt" ("sure").

- When it comes to nouns pertaining to certain family members (such as "son", "father", "mother", "daughter"), the particles are used --> examples with masculine nouns: "I biri i Ademit" ("Adem's son") and "I ati i Perparimit" (Perparim's father)
    --> examples with feminine nouns: "E ëma e Ademit" (Adem's mother) and "E bija e Elenës" (Elena's daughter)

- Note that in every of the above examples the second particle, written in italics, is used for making the genitive.

- Also note that for the other nouns pertaining to the family, such as "Baba" ("father"), "Nëna" ("mother"), "Daja" ("uncle") etc. the particular construnction mentioned above doesn't apply.

Hope it helps.

< Previous | Next >