Alcadía del Municipio

gabbsgou

spanish-Venezuela
Hola,

estoy traduciendo un certificado de nacimiento y tengo una pregunta con respecto a los términos"alcaldía" y "municipio" así como en esta oración:

1. Alcaldía de Carirubana
2. Alcaldía del Municipio de Carirubana

So, what would "alcadía" be? I was thinking it would be "municipality" but then I have the word "Municipio" ('cause Carirubana is not a "city hall" and I wouldn't consider that translation of the word to be correct in this context).

So, this is my attempt;

1. Alcaldía de Carirubana (Carirubana Municipality)
2. Alcaldía del Municipio de Carirubana (MUNICIPAL MAYOR’S OFFICE OF CARIRUBANA)

What are your suggestions?

• AbogadoPeter

English - USA (medical & legal)
    What are your suggestions?
    I would suggest first giving us the definition, in Spanish, of "alcaldía" in the source country. Is it talking about a building or a political entity? Your post seems to suggest both possibilities. The translation will, of course, depend on which it is.

Here in Mexico City, "alcaldía" is not a building, but a political subdivision of the city, which has its own executive (alcalde). I live in "la Alcaldía Cuauhtémoc" which contains a number of neighborhoods (colonias). They also refer to the seat of government of the political entity as the "alcaldía" (llamé la alcaldía a preguntar).

It would still be tricky to translate that into English, and would depend greatly on the context.

alcaldía | Diccionario de la lengua española

gabbsgou

spanish-Venezuela
    I would suggest first giving us the definition, in Spanish, of "alcaldía" in the source country. Is it talking about a building or a political entity? Your post seems to suggest both possibilities. The translation will, of course, depend on which it is.

Here in Mexico City, "alcaldía" is not a building, but a political subdivision of the city, which has its own executive (alcalde). I live in "la Alcaldía Cuauhtémoc" which contains a number of neighborhoods (colonias). They also refer to the seat of government of the political entity as the "alcaldía" (llamé la alcaldía a preguntar).

It would still be tricky to translate that into English, and would depend greatly on the context.

alcaldía | Diccionario de la lengua española
    It is exactly what you describe. Here "alcadía" refers to the political entity and not a building (we do not have a city hall building). So it is a political subdivision of the city. The person lives in "Alcadía de Carirubana" which contains a number of neighborhoods.

AbogadoPeter

English - USA (medical & legal)
    It is exactly what you describe. Here "alcadía" refers to the political entity and not a building (we do not have a city hall building). So it is a political subdivision of the city. The person lives in "Alcadía de Carirubana" which contains a number of neighborhoods.
    Okay, good. I'm still wrestling with it a bit just because it's sometimes hard to match the names of such entities. I have a few more questions:

1. Where is the translation to be used (any particular country, or region within)? For instance, in the US there are entities such as counties and parishes, generally outside of or even containing cities/municipalities, and areas within some cities, like wards or borroughs. In the UK, they have different designations.

2. In regard to "Alcaldía del Municipio de Carirubana," what is the relationship of the "municipio" to the "alcaldía?" Is one inside the other or does one contain or include the other?
    (like here, where Alcaldía Cuauhtémoc is inside and contained by CDMX, and the government of CDMX has supremacy over the gov't of the alcaldía)

gabbsgou

spanish-Venezuela
    Okay, good. I'm still wrestling with it a bit just because it's sometimes hard to match the names of such entities. I have a few more questions:

1. Where is the translation to be used (any particular country, or region within)? For instance, in the US there are entities such as counties and parishes, generally outside of or even containing cities/municipalities, and areas within some cities, like wards or borroughs. In the UK, they have different designations.

2. In regard to "Alcaldía del Municipio de Carirubana," what is the relationship of the "municipio" to the "alcaldía?" Is one inside the other or does one contain or include the other?
    (like here, where Alcaldía Cuauhtémoc is inside and contained by CDMX, and the government of CDMX has supremacy over the gov't of the alcaldía)
    Is it intended to be used in the US. The country of the birth certificate is Venezuela.

I believe one is inside the other.