Alcaldía v. Ayuntamiento

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Kaiouforever, Oct 20, 2010.

  1. Kaiouforever Member

    Tempe, AZ, USA
    English - American

    Quiero saber, ¿cuál es la diferencia entre "alcaldía" y "ayuntamiento?" Me parece que las dos palabras se refieren al edificio donde trabajan los funcionarios del municipio, o de una ciudad. También creo que se pueden usar como la institución, como el alcalde y los miembros que constituyen el grupo que decide las leyes, lleva a cabo los proyectos de la comunidad y tal.
  2. David

    David Banned

    alcaldía is the mayor's office or the building in which it is housed
    ayuntamiento is the city council or the building in which it meets

    the precise translation would depend on the particular jurisdiction and the form of its government. Some countries have ayuntamientos, others do not.

    Town Hall, City Hall, municipal building are all possible translations.
  3. Kaiouforever Member

    Tempe, AZ, USA
    English - American
    Thank you David! That makes sense.

    However, for example, the City I used to work for had one main building. In English we call it "City Hall" and the mayor's office was located in this building as well as the city council in this instance, how would I translate "city hall?"
  4. David

    David Banned

    Depends on what your intended readers are likely to use. If for Spanish-speaking immigrants to Arizona (presuming there are any still allowed) you could say "Palacio Municipal" or "Alcaldía"...either would be pefectly comprehensible to Mexicans and Central Americans...
  5. Kaiouforever Member

    Tempe, AZ, USA
    English - American
    ¡Gracias! I had seen "ayuntamiento" in a few websites, as well as "alcaldía," but I was leaning toward "alcaldía." Thanks!
  6. sergio11 Senior Member

    Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)

    I agree with David, but there is also some local variation. For example, in Argentina the mayor is called "intendente," and the building is called "intendencia." The "intendente" may be the mayor of the city or the chief officer of a "municipalidad" or "partido," which would be the equivalent of a county in the US, and sometimes they may even refer to the building as "municipalidad," and the position or function of the "intendente" is also called "intendencia."

    Regarding the names you see in websites, any of them would be understood. However, in principle I agree with David, as I said above.


Share This Page