Alex, what (score) did you get?

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Hello,
Suppose that a teacher asks a student to come to the board to ask him the previous lessons taught. The teacher asks the student some questions and the student answer the questions and the teacher gives him a score of 18 out of 20. Then the student resumes to his seat and the student's classmate sitting beside him wants to know what score the teacher gave to his friend. Can the second student says the question below?

wewewewe.jpg

James: "Alex, what (score) did you get?"

Alex: "I got 18, James."

Is the blue part natural? If not, then how would the student ask such a question of his classmate?

Thank you.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    From what I remember of this when I was at school, we used to ask each other "How many did you get?" :)

"What did you get" is a possibility, but I don't think we would've asked "What score..." in this particular context.

Juhasz

English - United States
    It sounds natural in that context. That particular chain of events in unlikely to happen in an American school, but after a student has been given a score (on a test, an assignment, for the semester), it's natural to ask "what did you get." We might also say, more generally, "How did you do?" or "How did you do?"

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    From what I remember of this when I was at school, we used to ask each other "How many did you get?" :)
    Thank you. What's your opinion about "What did you get?" in the UK? Used?
    It sounds natural in that context. That particular chain of events in unlikely to happen in an American school, but after a student has been given a score (on a test, an assignment, for the semester), it's natural to ask "what did you get." We might also say, more generally, "How did you do?" or "How did you do?"
    Thank you. What's your opinion about "How many did you get?" in the US? Used?

Juhasz

English - United States
    "How many did you get" would be fine in a specific context: a student is given a set number of questions and the questioner wants to know how many the student answered correctly. It would not work as a general request about a test score - perhaps because we often score tests and assignments with letter grades or percentages. If you expect a grade to be 82%, "how many did you get" wouldn't make any sense.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It would not work as a general request about a test score - perhaps because we often score tests and assignments with letter grades or percentages. If you expect a grade to be 82%, "how many did you get" wouldn't make any sense.
    Yes. In my day it was only the external GCE O level and A level exams that had lettered grades, for which we'd have needed to ask "What did you get?"

Ordinary school homework and tests were marks out of ten or twenty: exams were percentages. Looking back on it now, I suppose it's technically wrong to ask "How many did you get for Chemistry?" when the answer was 82%, but I'm pretty sure that's the sort of thing we did. :oops:

< Previous | Next >