Algerian/Moroccan: I want, I wanted, you want....

mini91

UK
English-UK
I would like to know how to say the following in the Moroccan/Algerian dialects, which im sure are very similar:

I want
I wanted

You (m/f) want
You (m/f) wanted

She wants
She wanted

He wants
He wanted

They want
They wanted

We want
We wanted

Thanks in advance :)

• Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    First you should note that the verb bgha is used both Morocco and West Algeria. In the rest of Algeria, people use the verb 7abb.

I want = ana n7abb/nabghi
    I wanted = ana 7abbit/bghit

You (m/f) want = anta(ti) t7abb(i)/tabghi
    You (m/f) wanted = anta(ti) 7abbit(i)/bghit(i)

She wants = hia t7abb/tabghi
    She wanted = hia 7abbat/bghaat

He wants = hua y7abb/yabghi
    He wanted = hua 7abb/bgha

They want = huma y7abbu/yabghu
    They wanted = huma 7abbu/bghaw

We want = 7na n7abbu/nabghiw
    We wanted = 7na 7abbina/bghina

Xence

Have you ever heard of any cases where the غ is elided?
    Honestly, no.
    I know this is the case in Khaliji dialects, but I am not aware of such elision in Maghrebi.

Also, are there any reflexes of أريد in your region?
    Not in the same way as in Khaliji or Levantine dialects. You may hear, from time to time, some idiomatic or fixed expressions such as كِ(ما) راد ربّي (As God wanted it). That's all.

mini91

UK
    English-UK
    Just to confim, in asking "Do you want (it)?" would be the same as saying "You want" so anta(ti) t7abb(i)/tabghi with just a question mark at the end would be correct?

Anatoli

Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
    First you should note that the verb bgha is used both Morocco and West Algeria. In the rest of Algeria, people use the verb 7abb.

I want = ana n7abb/nabghi
    I wanted = ana 7abbit/bghit

You (m/f) want = anta(ti) t7abb(i)/tabghi
    You (m/f) wanted = anta(ti) 7abbit(i)/bghit(i)

She wants = hia t7abb/tabghi
    She wanted = hia 7abbat/bghaat

He wants = hua y7abb/yabghi
    He wanted = hua 7abb/bgha

They want = huma y7abbu/yabghu
    They wanted = huma 7abbu/bghaw

We want = 7na n7abbu/nabghiw
    We wanted = 7na 7abbina/bghina
    If Moroccan Arabic is written in the Arabic script, how this will be written? Will the short vowels be skipped or written as long ones, would you use taa' marbuuTa to write the final -a? Just as an example, how would you spell: hua 7abb/bgha (he wanted )

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    If Moroccan Arabic is written in the Arabic script, how this will be written? Will the short vowels be skipped or written as long ones, would you use taa' marbuuTa to write the final -a? Just as an example, how would you spell: hua 7abb/bgha (he wanted )

بغيت، بغيت، بغى، بغات، بغينا، بغيتو، بغاو
    حبيت، حبيت، حبّ، حبّت، حبّينا، حبّيتو، حبّو

نبغي، تبغي، يبغي، تبغي، نبغو، تبغو، يبغو
    نحبّ، تحبّ، يحبّ، تحبّ، نحبّو، تحبّو، يحبّو

That would be my guess. Some people may spell بغاو and حبّو as بغاوا and حبّوا or يبغوا يحبّوا with the fus7a influence of the final unpronounced alif.

Xence

Wadi Hanifa said:
    Have you ever heard of any cases where the غ is elided?
    Today, I can say yes ! :)
    I have just discovered that some Moroccans (Marrakech) say bit instead of bghit (I want(ed)), and if you have followed the news on TV, you may have also noticed that Libyans too say tebi instead of tebghi (you want).

Bruss04

English
    One of the main dialectal features of our Libyan brothers is نبّي / نبّو / تبّي etc. :D
    I don't think they elide in the past tense though.
    Good you mention past tense because I was asking about that while learning Libyan dialect and my pops teaching me couldn't think of the past tense for "nibbi, tibbi, nibbo" etc he said use "kunt nibbi, kunt tibbi" etc..
    With the "gh" elided how would you write the past tense?

إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Good you mention past tense because I was asking about that while learning Libyan dialect and my pops teaching me couldn't think of the past tense for "nibbi, tibbi, nibbo" etc he said use "kunt nibbi, kunt tibbi" etc..
    If I had to risk a guess I would have said they don't have a past tense here and given you the same answer - but I wanted to check with my libyan friend first.
    I have a hunch they might say 'bgheina' though I really don't recall hearing it before from them - but I know they definitely don't say 'beina'!

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Today, I can say yes ! :)
    I have just discovered that some Moroccans (Marrakech) say bit instead of bghit (I want(ed)), and if you have followed the news on TV, you may have also noticed that Libyans too say tebi instead of tebghi (you want).
    Today I heard a Moroccan man talking to his wife at phone (at least the conversation seemed to show he was talking to his wife) and at one moment, he told her اش بيتي؟ which put a big smile on my face because all the clichés/jokes other Moroccans hold about people of مراكش automatically came to my mind, just because of this peculiar word :D

< Previous | Next >