n.ares

Dictionary Editor
Spanish - Colombia
alguno,
algún
adj
(persona o cosa sin determinar)(person) someone, somebody adj
(object) some pron
Note: Antes de sustantivo masculino singular, se usa «algún» en lugar de «alguno».
Alguna persona va a resolver el problema, pero no sé quién. ¿Hay algún voluntario para salir a la pizarra? Algunos autos tienen capacidad para siete pasajeros.
ⓘ Somebody is going to sort out the problem, I just don't know who.

I think the POSs should be switched. Someone and somebody are pronouns, while some is a determiner (adjective in EsEn?)

About some, doesn't this also work with people? For instance, some people = algunas personas.

Also, the ⓘ is not necessary in the sentence since this is the translation of the first Spanish example. I'd also suggest translating the other sentences (especially the last one) to depict the usage with objects.

• DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    And I would add:
    alguno,
    alguna
    pron
    (persona o cosa sin determinar)one pron
    someone pron
    somebody pron
    Si te gustan los pasteles, llévate alguno.
    If you like the look of those cakes, just take one.

Just like for the previous sense, I would add "person" and "object" where applicable.

n.ares

Dictionary Editor
    Spanish - Colombia
    Actually, about objects, shouldn't we have something (and maybe anything) in the translations? As in El paciente puede llamar a la enfermera si necesita alguna cosa or Si pasas por la juguetería, tráeles alguna cosa a los niños (I can add one of these to EsBase if you think they could be useful.) And I'm also thinking that the examples with alguna persona and alguna cosa shouldn't be the first ones.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    And I'm also thinking that the examples with alguna persona and alguna cosa shouldn't be the first ones.
    I didn't dare to say so.
    But it's never easy to know how to put them the best way in the xxbases :(

n.ares

Dictionary Editor
    Spanish - Colombia
    This is what I have in mind:

alguno,
    algún adj (persona o cosa sin determinar)
    some adj (?)
    (alguna persona) someone, somebody pron
    (alguna cosa) something pron
    (in interrogative sentences) any adj
    Note: Antes de sustantivo masculino singular, se usa «algún» en lugar de «alguno».
    A algunas personas les gusta el café y a otras el té. // Algunos autos tienen capacidad para siete pasajeros. // Alguna persona va a resolver el problema, pero no sé quién. // Si pasas por la juguetería, tráeles alguna cosa a los niños. // ¿Te gusta algún deporte?

I think that the main translation here should be some (the first two sentences "force" this translation.) The other two sentences depict someone/somebody and something, and the final one depicts any, which is a case that hasn't been considered.

fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    I like all of these suggestions and I'm going to try to implement them.

The sentence, ¿Hay algún voluntario para salir a la pizarra? could be translated with "any", so that case has been considered.