Alice started to her feet

< Previous | Next >

sami33

arabic
Hi everybody!

Please what does "Alice started to her feet" mean in this context?:

There was nothing so very remarkable in that; nor did Alice think it so very much out of the way to hear the Rabbit say to itself, `Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!' (when she thought it over afterwards, it occurred to her that she ought to have wondered at this, but at the time it all seemed quite natural); but when the Rabbit actually took a watch out of its waistcoat-pocket, and looked at it, and then hurried on, Alice started to her feet, for it flashed across her mind that she had never before seen a rabbit with either a waistcoat-pocket.....

Source: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland- Chapter 01-Down the Rabbit-Hole.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
  • sami33

arabic
    Thank you so very much Beryl and Copyright.
    Please, I wonder if the meaning of "to" in this expression is related to this WR dictionary definition: 5 governing a phrase expressing someone's reaction: to her astonishment, he smiled.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    For "to" in "to her feet," I think you'll want this WR dictionary definition: to: 1 expressing direction or position in relation to a location, point, or condition.

sami33

arabic
    Even after a long consideration about the meaning 1 of to my mind failed to imagine how Alice could jump in direction to her feet. The unique logical explanation of the expression that comes in my mind is this one: Alice give an action of a small jump to her feet. Otherwise, I have to take " to start to one's feet" as a set expression.
    I'm not sure whether or not "in direction to" is a correct English.

pwmeek

English - American
    She (stood up suddenly) onto her feet. (She had been sitting or lying down, but now she is up on her feet.)

Similar phrase: "She got to her feet," meaning she stood up.

< Previous | Next >