Alien and Non-Alien

danalto

Italy - Italian
From Cold Case.:)

SCREEN GRAPHIC: INSTRUCTIONS TO ALL PERSONS OF JAPANESE ANCESTORY

BILLY
(reading) "All Japanese Persons, both Alien and Non-Alien, will be evacuated by noon on April 7th, 1942."
BILLY
Tutti i giapponesi, ??? saranno...evacuati entro le 12:00 del 7 aprile 1942.

• berndf

German (Germany)
    Japanese Persons=Persons of Japanese ethnicity
    Alien=Non-US citizen
    Non-Alien=US citizen

E' chiaro così?

Last edited:

danalto

Italy - Italian
    Japanese Persons=Persons of Japanese ethnicity
    Alien=Non-US citizen
    Non-Alien=US citizen

E' chiaro così?
    Oh, sì, è chiaro, ed era chiaro fin dall'inizio...ma non so come tradurlo! :eek:
    Vorrei sapere se esiste un termine equivalente, dal momento che Billy sta leggendo un cartello affisso su un albero che annuncia l'imminente evacuazione dei giapponesi.

berndf

German (Germany)
    I see your problem now. My Italian is not that great to give you advice but I would be skeptical you will find a 100% fitting translation. After all, American English is the only language I am aware of that uses the same word for extraterrestrial and for foreign national. ;) I would replace "both Alien and Non-Alien" by "whether US citizens or not" and take it from there.

I would also consider translating "All Japanese Persons" as "tutte le persone di origine giapponese" rather than "tutti i giapponesi" to avoid confusion with "all Japanese nationals".

london calling

UK English
    After all, American English is the only language I am aware of that uses the same word for extraterrestrial and for foreign national. ;) I would replace "both Alien and Non-Alien" by "whether US citizens or not" and take it from there.

I would also consider translating "All Japanese Persons" as "tutte le persone di origine giapponese" rather than "tutti i giapponesi" to avoid confusion with "all Japanese nationals".

Hello!
    We say the same in BE! During WW2 we had what were known as "alien nationals".

But Danalto's big problem here is fitting the Italian dialogue in with what they're "mouthing" on screen (right, Dani?), so if it's short and sweet in English, it has to be short and sweet in Italian as well....!:)

"whether US citizens or not": that, by the way, is what my translation meant! ;)

berndf

German (Germany)
    We say the same in BE! During WW2 we had what were known as "alien nationals".
    In AE alien is the normal for a foreign national, not only in the context of WW2. In the UK, I usually hear discussions about legal and illegal immigrants and not about legal and illegal aliens.

"whether US citizens or not": that, by the way, is what my translation meant! ;)
    I am deeply ashamed for not having given you the due credit.:eek:

london calling

UK English
    In AE alien is the normal for a foreign national, not only in the context of WW2. In the UK, I usually hear discussions about legal and illegal immigrants and not about legal and illegal aliens.

I am deeply ashamed for not having given you the due credit.:eek:

No problem! :)

You said you didn't speak Italian very well, so I assumed you hadn't understood it, not that you weren't giving me credit for it!;)