Alikadoo, Alickadoo

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Inisseodom, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Inisseodom New Member

English - Ireland South
    Does anyone know the origin of this word (can't find it in any on-line dictionary) which means (among those who follow the sport of rugby union) a non-playing hanger-on or supporter? The nearest I have come is in the Marathi language where the word pronounced as "alikado" means "recent" or "lately" --- which doesn't seem to make much sense.

2. panjandrum

panjandrum Quondam Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I have always understood that an alickadoo is someone who despite his general incompetence and lack of genuine ability, has wriggled and cajoled his way into a position in which he is able to lord it over those who have been more interested in ability than position. In a rugby context, the chairman of the selection committee who hasn't had his foot in a boot since he was dropped from the under-12s.
    Having said that, I have no idea of its etymology either.

3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

I've never heard of it in my life.
    Wiktionary gives this:

4. morzh

morzh Banned

USA
    Russian
    I've heard the story, where a son who couldn't amount to anything better, went postal :) (no, no, did not shoot anyone) - he got a job at the post office.
    He got that position, where his job was to lick the stamps for customers.
    Then, upon having come back home after the first day, and having told his success story to his folks, he was then asked by his father what the position name was.
    "A licker" - he answered.
    "And what does alickadoo" - asked his father?
    Thus the name was born.
    How it got to mean the non-playing rugby person - no one really knows.

5. Inisseodom New Member

English - Ireland South
    Thanks for all of this people. No great progress - all of the stories are chestnuts (though usually told with more robust language as befits a rugby issue)!