Spanish to English alimentación

Dictionary entry: alimentación

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
Dictionary Editor
IdF
French (lower Normandy)
alimentación nf(para máquinas)supply n
El agua de alimentación de calderas juega un papel importante en la generación de vapor.
They're laying a new gas supply pipe on the sea bed.
See online editor: how would you translate "cable de alimentación"?

+ also see
alimentación nf (acción de alimentar)feeding n
La buena alimentación es indispensable para la salud.
The nanny is responsible for the feeding and bathing of the young children.

• DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    See online editor: how would you translate "cable de alimentación"?
    So I take it you call this "a supply/feed cable"? (genuine question; I couldn't find the answer on the forums)
    One example here or another here.

alimentación nf(acción de alimentar)feeding n
    La buena alimentación es indispensable para la salud.
    For Sense#2, the English dterm and dsentence work, but what about the other collocations?

fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    I added feed to sense 2 based on your report. I assume the second sentence would use feed rather than supply, but I'll leave that to whomever adds that second sentence. I'm assuming there's a project to add those new sentences in English once they get added to the Spanish side, so I tend to leave them alone when I see them -- it's not an error that needs fixing, but rather a project in progress. The same when there's a Spanish sample sentence and no English sample sentence at all.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I understand you don't translate the additional sentences, which simply illustrate the usage/collocation of the term and potentially help translators choose the correct terms, but the Dterms should still be appear.
    It is confusing to having missing translations.
    When the user sees this entry:
    alimentación nf(acción de alimentar)feeding n
    Tenemos dinero suficiente para nuestra alimentación. // La niñera se encarga de la alimentación y de la higiene de los niños. // El hotel no nos cobrará la alimentación.

they will legitimately think that "feeding" is the right (and only) translation, ie:
    We have enough money for our feeding. // The nanny is in charge of the feeding and hygiene of the children. // The hotel will not charge us for the feeding.

fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    I see. You're just trying to ready the entry, to set the sentence editors up for success, so that they don't have to modify the Dterms and can simply create new sentences based on the existing Dterms. I get it now, and I agree. I altered the nanny entry a bit as well. Hopefully it makes a bit more sense now.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I don't want to make the future editors' work easier for future projects, but a legible/understandable/usable entry for the dictionary users. ;)
    Thanks! It looks better. I think that "NEW:" can be removed as the English sentence matches one of the Spanish sentence, and is not completely different.