"All Aboard!"

• hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    ,My 2 cents:

I think it's because the seaman yells(loud voice) I guess it could even be written as "ALL ABOARD!" if it's from a loudspeaker.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    When the words inside the quotation marks make a complete sentence, the first word should have a capital letter. There is no need to put A on aboard.
    You might choose, though, to use all capitals as hly2004 had explained.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    When the words inside the quotation marks make a complete sentence, the first word should have a capital letter.
    If the text inside the quotation marks is a direct quotation, the first word should be capitalized even if the text does not form a complete sentence, unless it is a continuation of a quote split up by something like "he said" and there is no other reason to capitalize the first word of the second part.

I said, "Eagles and hawks."
    "Eagles and hawks," I said, "are beautiful birds."

But that's all secondary, I guess. I agree that "aboard" should not be capitalized in this example.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    If the text inside the quotation marks is a direct quotation, the first word should be capitalized even if the text does not form a complete sentence, unless it is a continuation of a quote split up by something like "he said" and there is no other reason to capitalize the first word of the second part.

I said, "Eagles and hawks."
    "Eagles and hawks," I said, "are beautiful birds."

But that's all secondary, I guess. I agree that "aboard" should not be capitalized in this example.
    Not so in my world. Quoting as usual from the University of Sussex:
    Thomas Edison declared that genius was "one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration".
    There are other guides, of course.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Your example is different, as it is presumably part of a larger quotation, a part that is syntactically integrated into the clause and for capitalization purposes does not count as a direct quotation, so it doesn't get a capital letter in my world either. :)

My point, I suppose, was that there are cases in which incomplete sentences get capital letters, but of course that doesn't mean that they always do.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    Indeed, I expressed it very badly, and misunderstood Elroy's comment.
    What I meant to explain is that text being quoted would not get an initial capital letter just because it is being quoted.
    Sorry for the confusion.

< Previous | Next >