all afternoon

nurdug51

Germany,German
You can say all day meaning the whole day.

Can you also say all afternoon or all Saturday meaning the whole afternoon and all day long on Saturday?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We would normally say "all afternoon" in a sentence like that. There is no reason to use "the" there. It might be used in a literary or poetic context.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    I think - I hope a BE speaker will chime in - that "all the afternoon" is more common in BE. It's not unknown in AmE, but as Florentia has explained, "all afternoon" is the way we'd ordinarily say it.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think - I hope a BE speaker will chime in - that "all the afternoon" is more common in BE. It's not unknown in AmE, but as Florentia has explained, "all afternoon" is the way we'd ordinarily say it.
    I'd be surprised to hear "all the afternoon" in Matterhorn's example sentence (post #6) - or in any context.

seekenglish

China-Chinese
    Is this sentence right? 'Lunch gives us energy for all the afternoon.'
    Can 'the' be omitted in the sentence above?
    Thanks!

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Is this sentence right? 'Lunch gives us energy for all the afternoon.'
    Can 'the' be omitted in the sentence above?
    Thanks!
    As noted above, "all the afternoon" is not how we would normally say it. "Lunch gives us energy for the whole afternoon" would be a better choice.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Instead of "all of Saturday", as Londres pointed out, could you say "the whole of Saturday/afternoon"?... something like: I've had a fever the whole of Saturday"... "My stomach has been hurting the whole of afternoon"? or would it be better to say "My stomach has been hurting all afternoon long"?
    Thank you.

< Previous | Next >