All/All of the days/Either/Either of the days is fine for me

birzo

Swedish
"All/All of the days/Either/Either of the days is fine for me." Which one is correct, or is there more than one possibility?

• Dexta

English (British and Australian)
    The following variations are correct:

Either day is fine for me.
    Either of the days is fine for me.
    (when the choice is between two days)

All of the days are fine for me.
    All days are fine for me.
    (when the choice is between more than two days)

Dexta

English (British and Australian)
    Are you asking us or telling us, Dexta?

Neither. I am answering the question about the two variations given by the OP (either/all) and explaining their usage.

If someone asked, 'Do any of these days work for you?', then I might reply, 'All of those days are fine for me' or 'Any of those days is fine for me' depending upon the degree of availability and commitment I was offering. As there is no context to determine the speaker's degree of availability and commitment I chose to keep my reply simple and answer the question being asked.

Sabracadabra

italian
    Is it correct to say: Either day of the next week is fine for me, when we are asked to choose between two days?

Many thanks!

Loob

English UK
    Hello Sabracadabra - welcome to the forums!

Either day is fine for me.:tick:
    Either day of the next week is fine for me.:confused::cross:

Sabracadabra

italian
    Hello Sabracadabra - welcome to the forums!

Either day is fine for me.:tick:
    Either day of the next week is fine for me.:confused::cross:
    Thanks!!

But...

I was asked to choose between two days of the next week, but, if I prefer even tomorrow is fine. So, finally the possible days are three! I would want to specify that both days of the next week are fine for me ... ^_^'

Birdseed98

Banned
    English - Scotland
    Thanks!!

But...

I have been asked to choose between two days of the next week, but, if I prefer even tomorrow is fine. So, finally the possible days are three! I would want to specify that both days of the next week are fine for me ... ^_^'
    Since you say there are three possible days then you shouldn't use the word "either" because that only is used when there are only two alternatives.

Why not just say:

"Any of the three days next week are fine for me."

Juhasz

English - United States
    It sounds to me like there are three possibilities: tomorrow and two days in the following week. If the answer is not tomorrow, but either of the other days, try: "Either day next week is fine for me" or "Either of the days next week..."

Birdseed98

Banned
    English - Scotland
    It sounds to me like there are three possibilities: tomorrow and two days in the following week. If the answer is not tomorrow, but either of the other days, try: "Either day next week is fine for me" or "Either of the days next week..."
    :tick:

Sabracadabra

italian
    Since you say there are three possible days then you shouldn't use the word "either" because that only is used when there are only two alternatives.

Why not just say:

"Any of the three days next week are fine for me."
    Because one day is this week, two days belong to the next week... I would like to say that either days next week are fine for me

Andygc

British English
    If there are three days to choose from it's pointless tying yourself up in knots about how to use "either" to refer to two of those three days. The other person has offered you a choice of three days, and you know there are three days to choose from. "Any of those days will be/is fine for me." You only need to use "either" if tomorrow is no good: "I can't make tomorrow but either day next week is fine."

< Previous | Next >