all along

• Dama_J

English
    "All along" si quiere decir "todo el tiempo", pero...

En mi opinion, "all along" suele usar mas en el pasado o presente que en el futuro. E.g.:
    He had been there all along.
    The book was on my desk all along.
    That's what I had wanted all along.

Para referirse al futuro, yo diria: the whole time.
    En tu ejemplo, me suena mas natural "I'll stay here the whole time".

Saludos.

pachanga7

English - US
    Estoy de acuerdo con Dama J, suena bien raro usar all along para hablar del futuro, a pesar de que algún diccionario no parezca contradecir su uso así. De hecho yo digo que ni se usa para hablar del presente de esta manera.

Tutatis

Entonces, según decís, es más usual verlo en pasado y presente ¿también para acciones habituales? Por ejemplo,

I usually go to the beach with my family in summer. We spend all along on swimming and sunbathing

¿Tiene aquí un uso adecuado?

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    No estoy de acuerdo con lo anterior.
    'All along' me parece incorrecto.
    We spend all our time/all day long swimming and sunbathing.

frida-nc

English USA
    ""I'll stay here indefinitely / for the foreseeable future" is the only way I can think of to translate " voy a permanecer aquí (sin límite de tiempo)."

"The whole time"
    would apply to a defined period of time, present, future, or past, not to an indefinite future period.
    Like Bevj's suggestions, it could be used in Tutatis' sentence: We spend the whole time swimming and sunbathing (time = our time at the beach in summer).

pachanga7

English - US
    I agree with frida-nc. Here are some more examples of proper usage:

future:
    I'll stay here. ("the whole time" is implicit in the choice of the verb "stay.")
    The students will spend pretty much the whole time conducting research in the lab with only a few short breaks. (a projection made by someone responsible for the scheduling)

past:
    The whole time we were on the boardwalk a couple of guys were gawking at us.
    I can't believe it! My parents spent the entire time playing badmitton and listening to NPR.

present:
    I am currently out of work. I spend my whole day perusing the want ads for job listings. (meaning, this is what I typically do every day, the whole day long)
    Whenever she plays putt-putt she spends the whole time chasing stray balls. (defined time period: playing putt-putt)

"All along" is a special case. We don't use it for everything. It conveys a sense of revelation, or contradiction, or surprise:

Contrary to how it seemed, my parents knew that I was skipping school to be with my boyfriend all along.
    I thought I could trust him, but it turns out he was stealing money from the business all along.
    I had my doubts about what we were doing all along but I didn't say anything. Now the whole mess has blown up in our faces.
    All along the truck was belching smoke but we thought it was a harmless condition, until it left us stranded.
    That little rascal was planning something all along. Now we see the trick he has played on us.

As you can see, the phrase is a bit colloquial and often refers to mental states, of knowing or believing a certain way. It typically carries a sense of current remorse for past mistakes or misunderstandings, contrasting what we know now with what we thought then. Therefore, you will notice that every single example that occurs to me is in the past tense.

Saludos.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >