All berry

• danalto

Italy - Italian
    I'm working on a Duck Dodgers' cartoon (Duffy Duck), and one of the carachters tells, talking about Space Cadet (Porky Pig), who wrote a book, that the book he was an All Berry Award winner

DDT

Italy - Italian
    "berry" like "buck" is also a slang American form of "dollar"...I consider this meaning might be somehow related to an award...

DDT

EricB

US English
    In the U.S., there's an award for children's books called the Newberry Award, so "All Berry" is a play on words, based on Newberry.

But I'm not sure exactly what the joke is supposed to be. If the cartoon was recently produced, then it's probably referring to a children's cereal called "Cap'n Crunch All Berries."

Sorry DDT, but I don't think it's referring to money.

DDT

Italy - Italian
    EricB said:
    In the U.S., there's an award for children's books called the Newberry Award, so "All Berry" is a play on words, based on Newberry.

But I'm not sure exactly what the joke is supposed to be. If the cartoon was recently produced, then it's probably referring to a children's cereal called "Cap'n Crunch All Berries."

Sorry DDT, but I don't think it's referring to money.
    Thanks a million for clearing that up, I was just guessing :eek:

DDT

EricB

US English
    It was a good guess, DDT. Honestly, I don't know how the rest of the world gets through all the American pop culture references in movies and TV shows. :)

lsp

NY
    US, English
    DDT said:
    "berry" like "buck" is also a slang American form of "dollar"...I consider this meaning might be somehow related to an award...

DDT
    Never heard that one! Do you know if it's regional?

< Previous | Next >