All but a bad memory

< Previous | Next >

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
TOPIC : What does all but a bad memory mean?

...... However, if the dough has been allowed to warm slightly, at room temperature, bubbling can be diminished or completely eliminated. Some stores have found that allowing the dough balls to warm 5F above the cooler temperature is all it takes. We have found that by allowing the dough to temper at room temperature for 2 hours prior to opening the dough balls up into skins, bubbling is all but a bad memory. Keep in mind that dough that has been tempering at room temperature for roughly two hours will have a three-hour window of time in which to use it before it starts getting gassy. (Source : Prevent bubbles from pizzatoday.com)
Having searched W.R.Forum, I know all but could mean almost or everything except for. What I'm concerned with most is I don't feel either of those meanings fits in this.

Would you please tell me how you understand the bold noun phrase I've quoted?

• waltern

English - USA
    The idea is that if you follow their procedure ("(allow) the dough to temper at room temperature for 2 hours prior to opening the dough balls up into skins"), there will be little or no bubbling - bubbling will be something you will only have memories of (bad ones, from previous experiences.)

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
    The idea is that if you follow their procedure ("(allow) the dough to temper at room temperature for 2 hours prior to opening the dough balls up into skins"), there will be little or no bubbling - bubbling will be something you will only have memories of (bad ones, from previous experiences.)
    Then can bubbling is nothing but a bad memory mean the same?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Like the OP, I'm not sure if the phrase "all but" is really appropriate. As mink-shin said, that phrase usually means "almost" or "everything except".

The intended meaning seems to be that if that procedure is followed, bubbling won't be much more than a bad memory.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Like the OP, I'm not sure if the phrase "all but" is really appropriate. As mink-shin said, that phrase usually means "almost" or "everything except".

The intended meaning seems to be that if that procedure is followed, bubbling won't be much more than a bad memory.
    I agree. Mink-shin's bubbling is nothing but a bad memory is what is needed there.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Looks like I misunderstood your post #4; I thought that by "your version", you meant "the version you gave in the OP".

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Yes and no! 'All but a bad memory' is an acceptable and common idiom meaning 'nothing but'. The nature of idioms is sometimes lack of strict logic.

< Previous | Next >