all but the most successful

ComicMonster

Spanish - Spain
Hi! I know there are a lot of threads about "all but", but (sorry for so many "buts") it still is an unconfortable expression for an Spanish mind.

As an example: I DO NOT UNDERSTAND (¡and I should!) the following sentence: "Step by step, relations with other human beings dispel the myths of all but the most successful".

What's the meaning? That nearly all myths are dispelled, save for the deeply ingrained ones? Or that the myths dispelled are those that successful people believe in?

This is my try: "Poco a poco, los contactos con otros seres humanos desbaratan prácticamente todos los mitos, salvo los más arraigados". Do you find it correct?

Thanks to all,

:):):)

• Dlyons

English - Ireland
    As an example: I DO NOT UNDERSTAND (¡and I should!) the following sentence: "Step by step, relations with other human beings dispel the myths of all but the most successful".

It's not completely obvious. I read it as as saying that nearly all myths are dispelled, except for the myths of the most successful people.

ComicMonster

Spanish - Spain
    That worries me —because I was understanding it as the dispelling of most successful myths (it seems to me that it makes more sense in Spanish); but obviously I am not sure…

Thanks a lot anyway

CM

Dlyons

English - Ireland
    It's not completely obvious. I read it as as saying that nearly all myths are dispelled, except for the myths of the most successful people.
    If that's what it meant, I think it would say "dispel all but the most successful myths".

The "of all" seems to me to refer to the holders of the myths.

Can you give some more context?

ComicMonster

Spanish - Spain
    Hi again! Sorry for the delay; yesterday I was very late and couldn't answer to the last post.

More context? Of course: you can check most of the book in this address: http://books.google.es/books?id=9tQ...&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Our problematic sentence is just half way down page 18 (line 17 exactly), so you may assess better the idea of the text.

Hope you can unfold the mystery… I don't want to mistranslate this author…

Thanks to all… From the bottom of my heart!

CM

SydLexia

UK English
    At the beginning of the process everyone has (personal) myths.
    At the end of the process, only the most successful people still have myths; all other myths (= the myths of all but the most successful) have been dispelled.
    "Step by step, relations with other human beings dispel the myths of all but the most successful".
    "Paulatinamente/Paso por paso/Poco a poca, y como consequencia del contacto con (los de) otros seres humanos, se van disapareciendo los mitos de todos menos los más triunfadores."

syd

Last edited:

ComicMonster

Spanish - Spain
    That really sounds correct, because in the following lines, the author (B. Russell) says that "Personal conceit is dispelled by brothers, family conceit by schoolfellows … national conceit by defeat in war or commerce…". This would mean that success implies no corrective, so no dispelling of the myth (of one's superiority). Do I have it right?

ComicMonster

Spanish - Spain
    Yes, Dylons had it right from the beginning… But I needed to learn it the long way…

Thanks a lot Syd, and Dylons and all… This is a great forum!

CM

Jox

Spanish
    Tal vez:
    Poco a poco, las relaciones con otros seres humanos disipan los mitos del todo, salvo los más exitosos.

ComicMonster

Spanish - Spain
    Entonces volvemos a creer que los "más exitosos" son los mitos (es decir, los mitos "más arraigados" que decía yo al principio), y no las personas… De hecho ésa es toda la duda…

Sigo creyendo, sin embargo, que se refiere a los mitos de las personas que más éxito alcanzan en la vida (que son también las que siguen cultivando la mítica percepción de superioridad personal, familiar, de clase, nacional, etcétera que Russell critica en este pasaje —puesto que el contacto con el fracaso no les ha desbaratado el mito (o no les ha "bajado los humos").

Jox

Spanish
    Depende, claro, de cómo se mire. Si el contexto en el que se encuentra esa frase apoya esa interpretación, entonces ten por seguro que se traduce así.
    Mi traducción sólo se basaba únicamente en la frase en sí.

Un saludo.

< Previous | Next >