All dialects: حامل ~ حبلى - pregnant ~ knocked up

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
Hi all--the first person to teach me Arabic informed me that the MSA term for 'pregnant' was (حامل) and the Lebanese equivalent was (حبلى) '7ibla'. She added, however, that she preferred the first term even in colloquial speech because she found the second to be not very classy. Someone who grew up in Iraq but came to Canada before high school said that (حبلى) translates to 'knocked up'. However, this term generally means something more specific: 'pregnant before/outside of marriage'.

When/how should one use (حامل) versus (حبلى)? Is there a slang Arabic equivalent of 'knocked up'?

Thanks in advance.

• AWeheid

Arabic
    Both mean ( carrying something hidden ) but it is based on context. If you said that: she is حامل or حبلى that means she is pregnant. Iraqi gave you a wrong answer when he said that حبلى used with pregnant outside marriage!! that's wrong nothing different. the meaning is related to carrying not the way she carries.

you can say that also: Cloud حبلى بالمطر or clouds تحمل ( present verb of حامل ) المطر

Both are the same, but حامل is classy more than حبلى and when we say classy here we mean it has a higher degree than حبلى in Arabic words.

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    you can say that also: Cloud حبلى بالمطر or clouds تحمل ( present verb of حامل ) المطر
    Actually, this is used figuratively.
    Both are the same, but حامل is classy more than حبلى and when we say classy here we mean it has a higher degree than حبلى in Arabic words.
    Says who? What made you come to that conclusion? It’s certainly not the case in Classical Arabic nor MSA. As for dialects, up to my knowledge it’s a little old fashioned in Iraqi Arabic and it’s quite neutral in Palestinian Arabic and doesn’t imply being less classy in any way (not as a word nor as anything else).

Also, I’m not quite sure what you mean by “it has a higher degree”, degree of what?

When/how should one use (حامل) versus (حبلى)?
    They are interchangeable in standard Arabic but dialects usually use one more than the other or may not used one of them at all.

Is there a slang Arabic equivalent of 'knocked up'?
    I don’t know of one, but this would depend on dialect.

AWeheid

Arabic
    Says who? What made you come to that conclusion?
    When I said 'classy' I mean "فصاحة"
    We all know that in arabic there are words more than classy "فصاحه" than othersز As الجاحظ says that : واصل بن عطاء تجنّب نطق البر واستبدلها بالحنطة لأن به عيّ في لسانه مع انه يعلم ان البر أفصح من الحنطة . انتهى
    and that also share the same point when I said it has a higher degree. degree of فصاحة

May I'm wrong in the translation of classy to be in front of فصاحة in Arabic But that is what I understand from this word.
    I'm learning English by trying to explain more in Arabic. I hope this will not affect my ideas or thoughts when I write answers.

I'd like to thank you for your comments.

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
    In EA, both words refer to the state of being pregnant and have nothing to do with how this pregnancy happened.
    In Egypt, people in the city tend to use حامل and people in the country mostly use حبلى.