All dialects: غنج - غنّوج - دلّع - تدلّع - دلّل

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
Hi all--in a previous thread[1], the meaning of (غنّوج/-ة) came up in the context of a Lebanese song. One proposed translation was 'moaning', but 'spoiled' was then suggested as more accurate.

WordReference doesn't have an entry for this term, and Almaany only provides a jumbled list of vocabulary items derived from the same root. However, WordReference says that (غُنْج) means 'coquetry', which is not a common word in modern English but refers to 'flirtatious teasing' (Wiktionary). Almaany defines the noun/adjective (غَنِج) as, e.g., 'girl or woman who flirts/coquettish' and the verb (غَنِجَ) either as, e.g., 'to flirt/to try to attract the attention of men' or 'to baby/to pamper/to spoil'.

In your Arabic dialect, do you use (غنج) and (غنّوج/-ة)? What exactly do they mean?

Also, how do the above terms differ from those derived from (د-ل-ع) and (د-ل-ل), i.e., (مدلّع/-ة), (دلّوع/-ة), (تدلّع/-ت), (مدلّل/-ة), and (متدلّل/-ة)? Apparently some or all of these are semantically similar, but I haven't found clear information on the details.

Thanks in advance.

[1]

Lebanese Arabic: تمشّى/بيتمشّي متل غزلان دادي دادي و ماج/بيموج متل طفل غنّوج

• Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Hello,

In Morocco, the terms I know is مفشّش ( pronounced امْفَشَّش, it means "spoiled") and تفشّش (pronounced تْفَشَّش it means "to act as a spoiled person"). I don't know its origin though, I suppose it's Arabic but I can't find a similar meaning of this verb in Standard Arabic. I don't even know if the verb is known somewhere else.

Last edited:

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
    Interesting. So, you don't use any words derived from (غ-ن-ج), (د-ل-ع), or (د-ل-ل) at all?

How would you say 'to flirt with someone' and 'to be flirtatious'?

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Interesting. So, you don't use any words derived from (غ-ن-ج), (د-ل-ع), or (د-ل-ل) at all?

How would you say 'to flirt with someone' and 'to be flirtatious'?
    My bad I didn't pay attention to this part of the message. Amongst these, دلّل I think, is used, but regarding the other words I don't know (a priori I don't think they are used but I will leave other Moroccan members who know better than I do, replying to this).

WannaBFluent

Français
    I'd say غنج means 'to simper' (Fr: minauder) like how some women giggle times to times to look more cute and attractive. To me, دلع and دلّل are a complete different thing and means 'to spoil, pamper'.

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
    I'd say غنج means 'to simper' (Fr: minauder) like how some women giggle times to times to look more cute and attractive. To me, دلع and دلّل are a complete different thing and means 'to spoil, pamper'.

Which dialect(s) are you discussing? Would you ever use (غنّوج/-ة) to describe a child? Does (تدلّع) differ in meaning from (دلّع)?

Also, how would you say 'to flirt with someone' and 'to be flirtatious'?

WannaBFluent

Français
    Which dialect(s) are you discussing?
    Levantine Arabic (Syria). But note that I'm not a native speaker.

Would you ever use (غنّوج/-ة) to describe a child ?
    Yes. Not for a spoiled kid though. But for a kid who starts to smile/giggle/laugh a bit in order to persuade his parents to buy him an ice cream or a toy for example. But غنّج is indeed used in the sense of 'to spoil, pamper'.

(Also note that غنج can also mean 'to moan' (as during a sexual intercourse), especially in Egypt)

Does (تدلّع) differ in meaning from (دلّع)?
    دلّع means 'to spoil, pamper, overindulge'. I'm not sure تدلّع is used in Syria, I think ندلع is mostly used for the passive.
    But in Egypt, تدلّع means 'to be flirtatious, act coquettishly' and also 'to act as a spoiled child'.

Also, how would you say 'to flirt with someone' and 'to be flirtatious'?
    For to flirt with someone, you can say:

ناغش
    شمشم (figurative sense, the verb means 'to smell (several times)'
    غازل
    عاكس
    تجحشن (only used for female)
    جوّن (used for male, and as a negative connotation of seducing just in order to have sex)
    شاغل (used in Egypt)
    تضحّك (used in Egypt, figurative sense, the verb means 'to make so laugh')
    تدلّع (used in Egypt)
    تدلّل (used in Egypt)

For calling someone as flirtatious, seductive, you can say:

فاتن / فتّان
    غاوي
    بنت سايحة (used in Egypt, only for female)
    بصباص (used in Egypt, only for male)

For the difference between تدلّع and تدلّل in Egypt, تدلّل describe the act of flirting by being evasive, trying to look hard to get, hard to seduce. While تدلّع describe the act of flirting by laughing all the time and look frivolous, it's mostly used for women as it's a common way for women to seduce while men usually don't (as women prefer men who are confident and serious).