All dialects: bread

MarcB

US English
Which is the term commonly used in your لهجه ?
I know عيش is used in Egypt and رزق الله in Bahrain. I think most other places say خبز can you confirm what you use?
I am talking about bread خبز.

• zooz

Arabic & Syrian Arabic
    in Syria we say خبز too, as well as Lebanon.

@ayed: I'm surprised to know that you use in Riyadh خبز; in Jeddah, عيش is used most of the times!!

Arabelle

Arabic
    We do?

Well, in Morocco we normally say 'khobz' too, but there many types of it:
    - Rghaayef (Roundish, usually made at home. 'Lighter' than our usualy thick bread.)
    - Koomeer (The French baguette.)
    - Me7raache (Round, usually bought.)
    - Lfoorce (Round, usually bought. Different than me7raache by the flour used to made it. This one is whiter than the former.)

In Berber [Tachel7it], it's said '2aghroom'.

Tyson786

English - uk
    In a learn Sudanese Arabic book it’s stated that bread is - eesh and plural iyuush , loaf-of bread - eesha or raghiifa and plural raghiif

Not sure if it’s the same in Egypt.

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    As said above, it is خبز in Morocco while عيش means كسكس in some places. عيش comes from what makes the base of the food for a living as bread, wheat, rice etc according to the area hence its use for different kinds of food.
    In some areas the word كسرة (pronounced kisra) may be used
    A friend of mine from سطيف (Algeria) says خبز while كسرة means a peculiar kind of flat bread.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    In a learn Sudanese Arabic book it’s stated that bread is - eesh and plural iyuush , loaf-of bread - eesha or raghiifa and plural raghiif

Not sure if it’s the same in Egypt.
    As stated in the second post of this thread, the word for bread in EA is 3eesh. It doesn't have plural as it's more of a collective noun. A loaf of bread is reghiif رغيف and the plural reghefa/erghefa إرغفة - رِغِفة.

< Previous | Next >