All dialects: mouthful

saira92

english-arabic
Hello.
How would you say this word in all dialects (mouthful?)
Meaning (an amount of food or drink that you put in your mouth at one time!)
Thanks

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Palestinian:

لُقمة for food
    غُبّ for a drink

In English I wouldn’t use “mouthful” for a drink. I would use “sip.”

wriight

English (US) / Arabic (Lebanon)
    Lebanon: شَفّة for a sip, but ofc لِقمة again for food. (EDIT: wait, no -- لقمة's for flatbread only, like لقمة حمص or أكْل اللبنة باللقمة. In light of djara's response I think I'd also go with نتشة generically)

غُبّ for a drink
    Ooh, would the غ happen to be emphatic here? I'm not sure if this is ubiquitous across Lebanon, but I've got the verb /ʁɑbb/ (conjugating like حط, then verbal noun /ʁɑbb/ & singulative noun /ʁɑbbe/) for taking a BIG gulp or huge bite of food. I'm guessing it's onomatopoeic in origin. It only applies to solid food for us, though -- drinks' analogue for it should be كرع (-> singulative noun كرعة).

Last edited:

djara

Tunisia Arabic
    In TA, for food لقمة but also قدمة (pronounced guidma even in urban dialects) and نتشة
    For beverages a sip is جغمة and a drink of water is شربة

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    How would you say this word in all dialects (mouthful?)
    Meaning (an amount of food or drink that you put in your mouth at one time!)
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but to me a 'mouthfull' is a 'huge amount of food in the mouth', also used figuratively (and arguably more commonly) for very long words or expressions (example: that's a mouthful to say). It implies that the amount of food in the mouth filled it so you can hardly chew. If I were to translate لقمة to English I would say 'bite', as in 'take a bite of this cake'.

غُبّ for a drink
    Also, جُغبة.
    In English I wouldn’t use “mouthful” for a drink. I would use “sip.”
    Same here.

momai

Arabic - Syria
    It's interesting that you use جغمة for drinks while جغم actually means to take a bite (food) in Syrian/Levantine and جغمة is a bite.
    To me غبة وكرعة are more than a sip شفة
    A smaller لقمة is لقّومة

< Previous | Next >