All dialects/MSA: change (money)

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
American English
Is there a widely used and understood word for “change” when speaking about money?

For example:

BUYER: “How much does this cost?” SELLER: It costs BD5- (5 Bahraini Dinars)

BUYER: “Well, I only have a BD100 note. I don’t have any “change”.

SELLER: Well, then you can’t buy it because I don’t have any “change” for such a big note either.

I’ve heard 3imlah and fakkah. Recently, I’ve also heard “khardah”.

Your comments most welcome.
  • Masjeen

    Senior Member
    In Kuwait we are using the word "khardah" as "change" in english while in Egypt and Syria they are using the word "fakkah" and all these words are colloquial..


    Senior Member
    English – US
    I vaguely remember باقي as in:

    خذ الباقي Keep the change.

    But of course that might not be the specific meaning you're looking for.


    Senior Member
    U.S., English
    As Masjeen noted, fakka is used in Egyptian to mean 'change' in the general sense, however I thought I'd mention that faDDa (literally: silver, and by extention coins, as opposed to paper money) can also be used loosely to mean 'change' when what is meant is coins.


    Senior Member
    In Saudi, we use the word"Sarf"--change(صرف), and fakkah as well.Some people may use the word "fraaTah" (فراطة)to mean specially the remaining of coins.


    Senior Member
    English, USA
    I vaguely remember باقي as in:

    خذ الباقي Keep the change.

    But of course that might not be the specific meaning you're looking for.
    use of that word is unique to that specific scenario as you described. "change" (i.e. small bills, coins) is like what Ayed, Masjeen, others have sdaid.


    Senior Member
    Regarding what's used in Egypt...

    - الباقي al-bAqy is "change" as in the rest of the money that's given back once you've paid
    >> Example: You pay for something that's 3 gineh with a 5 gineh bill, and you get 2 gineh back... that's the "change".

    - fAkkah فكه is said when you want smaller bills/coins.
    >> Example: You go to the bank to withdraw 100 gineh and the bank teller gives you a 100 gineh bill. You would say "3yez fakkah" to show that you want smaller notes/coins(because banks are the very few places that will give you change without making your life difficult!!). In this case, the smaller notes/coins are the "change."

    :) Hope this helps!


    Senior Member
    Arabic, PA and IA.
    In Palestinian Arabic and Iraqi Arabic it's pretty much like Syrian, Sraafeh صرافة. They also both use khurdeh خردة. In Palestinian Arabic another common word is (I think more common than the other two but I can't be user) is fraaTeh فراطة.

    I have to note that this refers to change as in 'coins', not paper money - for example a beggar saying "can you spare some change please?". If it were change as in "you gave me a 50 pound note and you are buy something for 10 pounds so here's the change - 40 pounds"; then I'd say that I've only ever heard باقي in this case.
    < Previous | Next >