All dialects/MSA: satisfied/satisfactory

< Previous | Next >

Mikael84

French
Hi guys,

This one has been bugging me for a while now. How do you say "satisfied"/"satisfactory" in Arabic, both MSA and dialect?

I know "shab3aan" but that is strictly related to food I gather. I would like something with a more general meaning, such as "this essay is satisfactory" or "I was really satisfied with my holiday".

Any takers?

• Mikael84

French
    Thanks guys.
    Would you say راض and مُرضٍ can be used the same way as "satisfied/satisfactory" in English, or is their use more restricted? I feel that often a single word in English has 2 or 3 or more equivalents in Arabic depending on context... I'm always pleasantly surprised when that's not the case!
    For example after having eaten well can I say "ana raaDin" or do I have to say "ana shab3aan"? (sorry for the Latin script...)

AndyRoo

English
    Thanks guys.
    Would you say راض and مُرضٍ can be used the same way as "satisfied/satisfactory" in English, or is their use more restricted? I feel that often a single word in English has 2 or 3 or more equivalents in Arabic depending on context... I'm always pleasantly surprised when that's not the case!
    For example after having eaten well can I say "ana raaDin" or do I have to say "ana shab3aan"? (sorry for the Latin script...)
    You're right to say Arabic will use different words where English might only use one, as here:

راض and مُرضٍ mean "satisfied/satisfying" as in "happy/pleasing".

Satisfied as in "full after a meal" would, as you say, be "shab3aan".

"Satisfactory", could translate as "maqbool". If someone said "the essay was satisfactory", I would take it to mean it was only just good enough.

Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    Alternatively, one may use the adjective مُقنِع as an equivalent to satisfactory:

a satisfactory answer = جواب مقنع

I am satisfied with your answer = اقتنعت بإجابتك

Mikael84

French
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, very helpful!

Xence, I thought اقتنعت بإجابتك meant "I was convinced by your answer"? Although the general meaning is the same, it is a bit different from "I am satisfied with your answer, no?

Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    In fact, many dictionaries give قنع as a synonym of رضي . There may be a little nuance that I can't explain for now, but the idea of being convinced is also conveyed in the English adjective satisfied:

1. Filled with satisfaction; content: a very satisfied customer.
    2. Paid or discharged in full, as a debt or obligation.
    3. Convinced beyond a doubt.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/satisfied

< Previous | Next >