All dialects/MSA: to flirt with a run for parliament or even president

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
Hi all,

I'd like to ask how the highlighted sentence below could be expressed in MSA and the dialects, especially Egyptian and Levantine. (Around the time of the article, I attempted to explain this figurative sense of 'to flirt' to someone from Cairo, but wasn't able to do so.)

Ethiopia's runners are among the country's biggest celebrities. When its first Olympic champion, Abebe Bikila, died, the government called for a national day of mourning. Haile Gebrselassie, another former champion, is one of the country's richest men. *He has flirted several times with a run for parliament or even president.*

But younger, less-established runners have complained about persecution at home, seeking asylum when traveling for international meets. Many say that persecution is linked to their Oromo ethnicity.
(source)

Alas, all I can put forward in the way of tentative translations are the following.

MSA:

(في عدد من المرّات ---- الترشّح للإنتخابات البرلمانيّة او للرئاسة حتّى.)

Lebanese:

(مرّات قليلة ---- الترشّح للإنتخابات البرلمانيّة او للرئاسة حتّى.)

Thanks in advance for your input.

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Just to check if I'm understanding this correctly:
    Does flirt with an idea mean "to think of"? In this case, the equivalent is فكر في (both in MSA and EA). If it means he tried to run, then the equivalent is حاول الترشُّح in MSA and حاول يِرَشَّح نفسه in EA.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Does flirt with an idea mean "to think of"?
    Basically, but "think of" is far too bland (which is why I didn't suggest it). "Flirt with" here is like "toy with" or "entertain." I don't know if there's an equivalent in MSA; I tried to at least go one step above completely bland by suggesting تأمّل. :D

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I understand what you mean. "Flirt with" is more than just "to think" and it would be better to translate it with something more than just فكر :)

Yes, تأمل is good. There's also راودته فكرة الترَشُّح which literally means that it's the idea that flirted with him :) but I think they mean the same thing.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I think it can work. In EA, this would be جَت في باله فِكْرة إنه يِتْرَشّح/يِرَشّح نفسه. Or, to go for metaphors, لِعْبِت في مُخُه [فكرة] إنه يرشح نفسه

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I was thinking about this, and I thought of a verb that seemed like a perfect equivalent if it was used this way (which I wasn't sure it was): داعب فكرة كذا.

So I turned to everyone's favorite search engine, and I actually found a number of attestations!

كان يتطلع لأن يكون أكثر من مجرد كاتب مسرحي.. أن يكون بصورة ما مسرحيا شاملا، اشترك بنفسه في إنتاج بعض مسرحيات لكتاب آخرين، داعب فكرة صناعة الموسيقى، كتب نصوصا للأوبرا، وقد كان مترجمًا واعيًا للمسرح الأميركي كمؤسسة، وحتى ناقدا عاما للدراما المهنية.
    Source

كما أنه داعب فكرة الانخراط العسكري في سورية، مقترحاً إقامة "مناطق آمنة" في الأراضي السورية.
    Source

فقد داعب فكرة قص قصة اليهودي التائه من جديد، وخطط زيارة يقوم بها اليهودي لسبينوزا، وأن يبين أن الشيطان كما تدل جميع الظواهر منتصر على المسيح في العالم المسيحي
    Source

في البداية داعب فكرة الحصول على عمل , لكنه قرر فيما بعد ان يصبح ثريا في يوم وليلة.
    Source

التصوف و الإقتباس لعديد من أبيات منصور الحلاج جاء دخيل على النص الذى داعب فكرة الإلحاد فى تضاد لم ينتصر لأى منهما
    Source

فنان داعب فكرة السقوط ، التقطها بصرامة لغوية حطمت كبرياء القمر حين أدرك أن بلوغ الحد الأقصى من الكمال ، معناه الرجوع من جديد لنقطة البداية
    Source

Thoughts?

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    In Morocco,
    فكر في الترشح
    جاء على/في باله يترشح
    طرح في باله يترشرح

< Previous | Next >