All dialects/MSA: to get back to someone (on/about)

< Previous | Next >

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
Hi all--how would one say 'to get back to' in MSA and the different dialects? Here are a couple of examples.

'John said he would let me know if he can come to the party, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.'

'When the best student in physics asked the new teacher a really difficult question, she was honest enough to reply, "I'll have to get back to you on/about that one."'

Thanks in advance.

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I believe this means لم يُعطِني ردًا حتى الآن for the first sentence, and سوف أرد عليك لاحقًا for the second.

In Egyptian Arabic, these would be لسة ما رَدِّش عَلَيَّا and حارُدّ عليك بعدين or حارُدّ عليك في وقت تاني.

Last edited:

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    In Morocco you may say
    ما زال ما ردّ عليا
    لحدّ الآن ما ردّ(ش) عليا
    As for the reply
    غادي نردّ عليك من بعد
    He didn't get back to me: ما رجعليش
    This sounds a bit like a calque of the English expression :D. This is understandable of course, but to me it doesn't suit the action of replying but rather to physically go back to someone. If someone told me
    ما رجع ليش
    I would understand it as "he hasn't return to me/he hasn't come back". But I can't speak for Tunisia.

Samer11

Arabic - Najd
    لم يَرُدّ عليّ بَعْدُ/حتى الآن
    لم يَصِلْنِي رده...
    لم يُعْطِنِي ردًا...

In Najdi Arabic:
    'John said he would let me know if he can come to the party, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.'
    جون قال أنه بيعلمني إذا بيقدر يجي للحفلة، بس ما بعد ردّ علي
    Also negatively: بس سحب علي (but he left me hanging)

'When the best student in physics asked the new teacher a really difficult question, she was honest enough to reply, "I'll have to get back to you on/about that one."'
    يوم أحسن/أدفر* طالبة في [مادة] الفيزياء سألت المعلمة/الأبلة** الجديدة سؤال صعب مرة، كانت المعلمة صريحة وقالت أنها لازم تبحث عن الجواب أول
    or: وقالت باجيب لك الجواب بعدين
    Both are indirect translations.

*أدفر is more like nerdiest
    *أبلة is an old fashioned word for female teacher, not heard much in Riyadh these days. It probably originates from Ottoman Turkish. مُعْلِّمَة is all the rage now, مُدَرِّسة had its days too but it's second to معلمة. It seems أستاذ/أستاذة are getting reserved for "professor" more and more.

tounsi51

French, Tunisian Arabic
    This sounds a bit like a calque of the English expression :D. This is understandable of course, but to me it doesn't suit the action of replying but rather to physically go back to someone. If someone told me
    ما رجع ليش
    I would understand it as "he hasn't return to me/he hasn't come back". But I can't speak for Tunisia.
    It is also used in Algeria.

Actually when my parents ask me to send a message to my siblings, then they ask me "raja3lek/raj3etlek?"

My Algerian friend also used to tell "ma radja3lich" :D

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >