All dialects: persimmon

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
I started an All Languages thread about this, but I'm also curious about other dialects of Arabic.

Does your dialect use كاكا for "persimmon," and if so, does it also mean "poop" in your dialect?!

To quote myself from the other thread:

The word used in Palestinian Arabic is كاكا (kāka), which also means "poop"! :eek:

I've always found this a most unfortunate name for the fruit. I wonder if it was borrowed from another language in which the word is benign?

• momai

Arabic - Syria
    ِِApparently, Syrians call it differently (see here and here). The only name I used to know for this fruit is manga منغا and only recently I got to know that actually this fruit is commonly known as Kaki among Arabs

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    It's known as kaaki in Iraqi Arabic, which would make it quite distinguishable from kakkaa. However, they actually don't use kakkaa for poop, they say عاعّا; pronounced exactly the same way but with a 3ain instead of a kaaf! I have no idea how this change came to be.

I wonder if it was borrowed from another language in which the word is benign?
    According to Wikipedia, the name is originally Japanese.

As for the meaning of poop, I was told that it came from Arabic كخّ, the word used for children to mean 'dirty' (some dialects say كع); I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense.

Aliph

Italian (North)
    The word Kaki, according to Wikipedia is the Japanese name of a local variety of persimmon
    Diospyros kaki (Asian persimmon, Japanese ).

BTW, a bit off topic, we have the same dilemma in Italian and French as in Palestinian Arabic concerning the name of this fruit and the colloquial word for excrement

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    I think in Morocco it is called كاكي.

As for the meaning of poop, I was told that it came from Arabic كخّ, the word used for children to mean 'dirty' (some dialects say كع); I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense.
    This is used to mean "dirty" in Morocco for children only.

< Previous | Next >